Jul 12, 2012, 8:05 AM EDT
On Tuesday night, we shared news that Chicago’s Soldier Field would host two NCAA contests next February. Like any self-respected big city official, Chicago Park District CEO Michael Kelly is dreaming bigger, though. Kelly told Brian Hamilton that he hopes Solider Field will one day host a Winter Classic after losing out to Wrigley Field in 2009.
“Do I think this could pave the way to a future NHL (Winter Classic)? I certainly think so,” Kelly said. “I think we’re going to pack this place. I think this, at least for one day, will rival a Bears game. I could easily see 57,000, 62,000 people in this stadium going nuts.”
“I’d put us up against anybody in the country — one, as a hockey town; two, as the proper venue for hockey in Chicago.”
While the Detroit Red Wings and Pittsburgh Penguins show that teams can appear in more than one Winter Classic, it hasn’t returned to the same venue twice just yet. With that in mind, Solider Field representatives might need to wait a little while before that dream comes true.
There’s little denying that it would be cool, even if they don’t have Wrigley’s ivy.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (97)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (76)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)