Jul 12, 2012, 8:05 AM EST
On Tuesday night, we shared news that Chicago’s Soldier Field would host two NCAA contests next February. Like any self-respected big city official, Chicago Park District CEO Michael Kelly is dreaming bigger, though. Kelly told Brian Hamilton that he hopes Solider Field will one day host a Winter Classic after losing out to Wrigley Field in 2009.
“Do I think this could pave the way to a future NHL (Winter Classic)? I certainly think so,” Kelly said. “I think we’re going to pack this place. I think this, at least for one day, will rival a Bears game. I could easily see 57,000, 62,000 people in this stadium going nuts.”
“I’d put us up against anybody in the country — one, as a hockey town; two, as the proper venue for hockey in Chicago.”
While the Detroit Red Wings and Pittsburgh Penguins show that teams can appear in more than one Winter Classic, it hasn’t returned to the same venue twice just yet. With that in mind, Solider Field representatives might need to wait a little while before that dream comes true.
There’s little denying that it would be cool, even if they don’t have Wrigley’s ivy.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 1
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 15
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)