Jul 12, 2012, 8:05 AM EDT
On Tuesday night, we shared news that Chicago’s Soldier Field would host two NCAA contests next February. Like any self-respected big city official, Chicago Park District CEO Michael Kelly is dreaming bigger, though. Kelly told Brian Hamilton that he hopes Solider Field will one day host a Winter Classic after losing out to Wrigley Field in 2009.
“Do I think this could pave the way to a future NHL (Winter Classic)? I certainly think so,” Kelly said. “I think we’re going to pack this place. I think this, at least for one day, will rival a Bears game. I could easily see 57,000, 62,000 people in this stadium going nuts.”
“I’d put us up against anybody in the country — one, as a hockey town; two, as the proper venue for hockey in Chicago.”
While the Detroit Red Wings and Pittsburgh Penguins show that teams can appear in more than one Winter Classic, it hasn’t returned to the same venue twice just yet. With that in mind, Solider Field representatives might need to wait a little while before that dream comes true.
There’s little denying that it would be cool, even if they don’t have Wrigley’s ivy.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 68
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 32
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 22
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)