Jul 12, 2012, 9:34 PM EDT
Shortly after the Dallas Stars acquired Derek Roy from the Buffalo Sabres, it was revealed that he would undergo shoulder surgery. That procedure is expected to sideline him until late November — which is especially discouraging news given that we’re talking about a guy who is trying to rebound from a disappointing season.
As Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News pointed out, Roy might not have missed any time had he been operated on when the Sabres season ended in April. However, it sounds like Buffalo didn’t think the procedure was necessary.
“I’m very confident in the decision by our medical staff,” Regier said. “He played with it last year and he could have played with it again this year. It was a decision by the Dallas Stars. It’s as simple as that. We were very comfortable with his situation.”
Sabres coach Lindy Ruff was surprised that Roy needed shoulder surgery, according to Buffalo News Sabres beat writer Mike Harrington.
Roy was limited to just 44 points in 80 games last season, so I have to wonder if his shoulder problem was negatively affecting his game. If that’s the case, then maybe this operation will actually increase his odds of bouncing back despite the fact that he’ll miss training camp and the first chunk of the season.
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 18
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 11
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 41
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)