Jul 12, 2012, 9:34 PM EDT
Shortly after the Dallas Stars acquired Derek Roy from the Buffalo Sabres, it was revealed that he would undergo shoulder surgery. That procedure is expected to sideline him until late November — which is especially discouraging news given that we’re talking about a guy who is trying to rebound from a disappointing season.
As Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News pointed out, Roy might not have missed any time had he been operated on when the Sabres season ended in April. However, it sounds like Buffalo didn’t think the procedure was necessary.
“I’m very confident in the decision by our medical staff,” Regier said. “He played with it last year and he could have played with it again this year. It was a decision by the Dallas Stars. It’s as simple as that. We were very comfortable with his situation.”
Sabres coach Lindy Ruff was surprised that Roy needed shoulder surgery, according to Buffalo News Sabres beat writer Mike Harrington.
Roy was limited to just 44 points in 80 games last season, so I have to wonder if his shoulder problem was negatively affecting his game. If that’s the case, then maybe this operation will actually increase his odds of bouncing back despite the fact that he’ll miss training camp and the first chunk of the season.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 15
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 37
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)