Jul 12, 2012, 9:34 PM EDT
Shortly after the Dallas Stars acquired Derek Roy from the Buffalo Sabres, it was revealed that he would undergo shoulder surgery. That procedure is expected to sideline him until late November — which is especially discouraging news given that we’re talking about a guy who is trying to rebound from a disappointing season.
As Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News pointed out, Roy might not have missed any time had he been operated on when the Sabres season ended in April. However, it sounds like Buffalo didn’t think the procedure was necessary.
“I’m very confident in the decision by our medical staff,” Regier said. “He played with it last year and he could have played with it again this year. It was a decision by the Dallas Stars. It’s as simple as that. We were very comfortable with his situation.”
Sabres coach Lindy Ruff was surprised that Roy needed shoulder surgery, according to Buffalo News Sabres beat writer Mike Harrington.
Roy was limited to just 44 points in 80 games last season, so I have to wonder if his shoulder problem was negatively affecting his game. If that’s the case, then maybe this operation will actually increase his odds of bouncing back despite the fact that he’ll miss training camp and the first chunk of the season.
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 1
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 15
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 33
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 4
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)