Jul 12, 2012, 9:34 PM EDT
Shortly after the Dallas Stars acquired Derek Roy from the Buffalo Sabres, it was revealed that he would undergo shoulder surgery. That procedure is expected to sideline him until late November — which is especially discouraging news given that we’re talking about a guy who is trying to rebound from a disappointing season.
As Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News pointed out, Roy might not have missed any time had he been operated on when the Sabres season ended in April. However, it sounds like Buffalo didn’t think the procedure was necessary.
“I’m very confident in the decision by our medical staff,” Regier said. “He played with it last year and he could have played with it again this year. It was a decision by the Dallas Stars. It’s as simple as that. We were very comfortable with his situation.”
Sabres coach Lindy Ruff was surprised that Roy needed shoulder surgery, according to Buffalo News Sabres beat writer Mike Harrington.
Roy was limited to just 44 points in 80 games last season, so I have to wonder if his shoulder problem was negatively affecting his game. If that’s the case, then maybe this operation will actually increase his odds of bouncing back despite the fact that he’ll miss training camp and the first chunk of the season.
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 5
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 15
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 77
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 17
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (77)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)