Jul 12, 2012, 11:05 AM EST
Tomas Holmstrom has spent all 15 years of his career with the Detroit Red Wings.
Could his 16th be in a different city?
It seems implausible the 39-year-old would sign anywhere other that Detroit, but two recent items have raised the possibility meter — albeit slightly.
Gregg Krupa of the Detroit News caught up with Wings GM Ken Holland and asked about Holmstrom’s future with the club. Noting that Holland was “using much the same language about Holmstrom as he did about Kirk Maltby and Kris Draper before they retired,” Krupa got this response:
“If we don’t move younger people in, we’re going backwards.”
Krupa also alluded to this report from Swedish website HockeyEspressen.se, in which reporter Av Oscar Brostrom spoke with Holmstrom’s Michigan-based agent, Howard Gourwitz.
The details (thanks to the power of Google translate):
– Several NHL clubs have expressed interest in Holmstrom, but he’s yet to decide what he wants to do.
– Holmstrom won’t go back to Sweden and play in the SEL. If he plays next year, it’ll only be in the NHL.
It also sounds as though Holmstrom (who’s headed back to Detroit soon — he might live there permanently, retirement or no) and Holland will talk in the not-too-distant future about what direction the Wings want to go.
According to Capgeek, Detroit currently has 15 forwards under contract at the NHL level, including a number of the “younger” guys Holland alluded to — Cory Emmerton (24 years old), Jan Mursak (24) and Gustav Nyquist (22).
Also, the Wings have yet to deal with RFA forward Justin Abdelkader.
- Video: Ovechkin becomes sixth fastest player to 400 goals in Caps win 3
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 14
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 31
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 5
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ 69
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 64
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 32
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 7
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 21
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 54
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head (71)