Jul 12, 2012, 9:48 AM EST
If you’re a Chicago Blackhawks fan that doesn’t know who Brandon Saad is – that might change very soon.
After playing in two regular season games and two playoff contests with Chicago in 2011-12, Saad took part in this summer’s Blackhawks prospect camp. It’s just the first step on the road to making the 2012-13 edition of the Blackhawks, but he’s made the most of it by impressing coach Joel Quenneville.
“He looks like he’s ready to play,” Quenneville said, according to CSNChicago’s Tracey Myers. “He can maybe not just make our team, he can do more than that.”
In addition to his brief stints with Chicago last season, Saad scored 34 goals and 76 points in just 44 OHL games. He’s got the potential to be a good top-six forward and you might see him in that role as early as next season.
Of course, that will be a difficult task as Saad will be facing stiff competition. He’ll need to have a strong showing in training camp to secure a significant role with Chicago next season, but he’s capable of doing just that.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 33
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 113
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (113)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)