Jul 12, 2012, 10:54 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers enjoyed immediate returns from former first overall picks Taylor Hall and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. Oilers head coach Ralph Krueger thinks Nail Yakupov will keep that streak alive, based on his interview with 630 CHED.
Krueger was also asked if Nail Yakupov and Justin Schultz, a highly touted young defenseman that signed an entry-level contract with them as a free agent, would be used with the man advantage.
“They will be strongest, probably, in those [power play] situations early on,” Krueger said, as transcribed by the Edmonton Journal. “It’s the 5-on-5 game in the National Hockey League that truly tests young players – to find their way defensively first of all and then to create offensively is quite difficult when you’re new into the league.
“On the power play their skillset will have a little more time and space and they should be able to add to our power play strength immediately.”
He was also asked about the potential line combinations that the Oilers might employ – they will have the option to go with a top line composed entirely of first overall picks – but Krueger didn’t tip his hand.
Krueger is taking over an Oilers team that’s already spent several years rebuilding. They’re not at the stage yet where they’re a serious competitor, but they certainly have assembled an impressive core of young players.
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 0
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 18
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 28
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 26
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 13
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 50
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (51)