Jul 12, 2012, 10:54 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers enjoyed immediate returns from former first overall picks Taylor Hall and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. Oilers head coach Ralph Krueger thinks Nail Yakupov will keep that streak alive, based on his interview with 630 CHED.
Krueger was also asked if Nail Yakupov and Justin Schultz, a highly touted young defenseman that signed an entry-level contract with them as a free agent, would be used with the man advantage.
“They will be strongest, probably, in those [power play] situations early on,” Krueger said, as transcribed by the Edmonton Journal. “It’s the 5-on-5 game in the National Hockey League that truly tests young players – to find their way defensively first of all and then to create offensively is quite difficult when you’re new into the league.
“On the power play their skillset will have a little more time and space and they should be able to add to our power play strength immediately.”
He was also asked about the potential line combinations that the Oilers might employ – they will have the option to go with a top line composed entirely of first overall picks – but Krueger didn’t tip his hand.
Krueger is taking over an Oilers team that’s already spent several years rebuilding. They’re not at the stage yet where they’re a serious competitor, but they certainly have assembled an impressive core of young players.
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 1
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 21
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)