Jul 12, 2012, 2:12 PM EST
Teemu Selanne isn’t saying goodbye just yet.
That’s the word out of Anaheim today as the club announced Selanne has agreed to a one-year deal with the Ducks:
“I still feel I can play at a high level,” said Selanne. “As I always say, this is my happy place and I can’t wait to get back on the ice in front of our great fans.”
Lisa Dillman of the LA Times reports the deal will be worth $4.5 million — a $500,000 raise from the $4 million he made last year.
Selanne, who turned 42 on July 3, returns for his 20th NHL season after scoring 26G-40A-66PTS in 82 games last year.
“While I’m still amazed by his speed and skill level, it’s Teemu’s love for the game and his teammates that make him so special,” said Ducks General Manager Bob Murray. “Anaheim is where he belongs.”
With the signing, a veteran-laden Ducks club gets even older. The 42-year-old Selanne will suit up next season alongside Saku Koivu (37 years old), Sheldon Souray (36 on July 13), Toni Lydman (34), Francois Beauchemin (32) and Bryan Allen (31).
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 3
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 5
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 60
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (60)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)