Jul 12, 2012, 2:12 PM EDT
Teemu Selanne isn’t saying goodbye just yet.
That’s the word out of Anaheim today as the club announced Selanne has agreed to a one-year deal with the Ducks:
“I still feel I can play at a high level,” said Selanne. “As I always say, this is my happy place and I can’t wait to get back on the ice in front of our great fans.”
Lisa Dillman of the LA Times reports the deal will be worth $4.5 million — a $500,000 raise from the $4 million he made last year.
Selanne, who turned 42 on July 3, returns for his 20th NHL season after scoring 26G-40A-66PTS in 82 games last year.
“While I’m still amazed by his speed and skill level, it’s Teemu’s love for the game and his teammates that make him so special,” said Ducks General Manager Bob Murray. “Anaheim is where he belongs.”
With the signing, a veteran-laden Ducks club gets even older. The 42-year-old Selanne will suit up next season alongside Saku Koivu (37 years old), Sheldon Souray (36 on July 13), Toni Lydman (34), Francois Beauchemin (32) and Bryan Allen (31).
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 7
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 16
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 58
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)