Jul 12, 2012, 2:12 PM EDT
Teemu Selanne isn’t saying goodbye just yet.
That’s the word out of Anaheim today as the club announced Selanne has agreed to a one-year deal with the Ducks:
“I still feel I can play at a high level,” said Selanne. “As I always say, this is my happy place and I can’t wait to get back on the ice in front of our great fans.”
Lisa Dillman of the LA Times reports the deal will be worth $4.5 million — a $500,000 raise from the $4 million he made last year.
Selanne, who turned 42 on July 3, returns for his 20th NHL season after scoring 26G-40A-66PTS in 82 games last year.
“While I’m still amazed by his speed and skill level, it’s Teemu’s love for the game and his teammates that make him so special,” said Ducks General Manager Bob Murray. “Anaheim is where he belongs.”
With the signing, a veteran-laden Ducks club gets even older. The 42-year-old Selanne will suit up next season alongside Saku Koivu (37 years old), Sheldon Souray (36 on July 13), Toni Lydman (34), Francois Beauchemin (32) and Bryan Allen (31).
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head 24
- WATCH LIVE: Tampa Bay Lightning at Montreal Canadiens (Game 3) 2
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 32
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 53
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 84
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 23
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (84)