Jul 12, 2012, 2:12 PM EST
Teemu Selanne isn’t saying goodbye just yet.
That’s the word out of Anaheim today as the club announced Selanne has agreed to a one-year deal with the Ducks:
“I still feel I can play at a high level,” said Selanne. “As I always say, this is my happy place and I can’t wait to get back on the ice in front of our great fans.”
Lisa Dillman of the LA Times reports the deal will be worth $4.5 million — a $500,000 raise from the $4 million he made last year.
Selanne, who turned 42 on July 3, returns for his 20th NHL season after scoring 26G-40A-66PTS in 82 games last year.
“While I’m still amazed by his speed and skill level, it’s Teemu’s love for the game and his teammates that make him so special,” said Ducks General Manager Bob Murray. “Anaheim is where he belongs.”
With the signing, a veteran-laden Ducks club gets even older. The 42-year-old Selanne will suit up next season alongside Saku Koivu (37 years old), Sheldon Souray (36 on July 13), Toni Lydman (34), Francois Beauchemin (32) and Bryan Allen (31).
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ 5
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 60
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 31
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 7
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 21
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 54
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 53
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 61
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 43
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 12
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)