Jul 12, 2012, 12:17 PM EDT
According to a release from the University of Minnesota, Florida Panthers prospect Nick Bjugstad will be playing for the Golden Gophers in 2012-13.
The 6-foot-5, 211-pound center — taken 19th overall at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft — will return to Minnesota for his junior season, essentially eliminating the likelihood of playing for the Panthers this season
(Though, as we saw with Rangers forward Chris Kreider last season, a late season call-up isn’t out of the question.)
Bjugstad is one of the most tantalizing prospects in college hockey. Last year, as a sophomore, he was a Second Team All-American after scoring 42 points in 40 games and finishing fifth in the nation in goals (25).
Given his size and offensive skill set, the 19-year-old was thought to have a decent shot of playing in the NHL this season. Fellow 2010 selection Erik Gudbranson made his Panthers debut last season (playing 72 games) and Florida’s other first-rounder from that draft, Quinton Howden, is expected to challenge for a roster spot this year.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 46
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)