Jul 12, 2012, 12:17 PM EDT
According to a release from the University of Minnesota, Florida Panthers prospect Nick Bjugstad will be playing for the Golden Gophers in 2012-13.
The 6-foot-5, 211-pound center — taken 19th overall at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft — will return to Minnesota for his junior season, essentially eliminating the likelihood of playing for the Panthers this season
(Though, as we saw with Rangers forward Chris Kreider last season, a late season call-up isn’t out of the question.)
Bjugstad is one of the most tantalizing prospects in college hockey. Last year, as a sophomore, he was a Second Team All-American after scoring 42 points in 40 games and finishing fifth in the nation in goals (25).
Given his size and offensive skill set, the 19-year-old was thought to have a decent shot of playing in the NHL this season. Fellow 2010 selection Erik Gudbranson made his Panthers debut last season (playing 72 games) and Florida’s other first-rounder from that draft, Quinton Howden, is expected to challenge for a roster spot this year.
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 9
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 14
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 56
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)