Jul 12, 2012, 2:16 PM EDT
Then, it was July 16.
It’s simple — there is no deadline.
“There is no relevance to the July 16th date for us,” Doan’s agent, Terry Bross, told USA Today. “That’s off the table.”
A handful of teams have already presented formal offers to the Coyotes’ 35-year-old captain and unrestricted free agent. Three of those teams are reportedly the Kings, Sharks and Canucks.
Of course, Doan’s first choice has always been to stay put, and Glendale’s dismissal of two voter initiatives that could’ve scuttled the sale of the club to Greg Jamison may convince him to sign with the Coyotes.
However, at this point, it’s unlikely anyone can give Doan a guarantee the Coyotes will be in the desert for the rest of his career. And given he doesn’t want to sign a one-year deal to kick the can down the road until next summer, well, he’s got a tough decision to make.
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 24
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 40
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 34
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21