Jul 12, 2012, 2:16 PM EST
Then, it was July 16.
It’s simple — there is no deadline.
“There is no relevance to the July 16th date for us,” Doan’s agent, Terry Bross, told USA Today. “That’s off the table.”
A handful of teams have already presented formal offers to the Coyotes’ 35-year-old captain and unrestricted free agent. Three of those teams are reportedly the Kings, Sharks and Canucks.
Of course, Doan’s first choice has always been to stay put, and Glendale’s dismissal of two voter initiatives that could’ve scuttled the sale of the club to Greg Jamison may convince him to sign with the Coyotes.
However, at this point, it’s unlikely anyone can give Doan a guarantee the Coyotes will be in the desert for the rest of his career. And given he doesn’t want to sign a one-year deal to kick the can down the road until next summer, well, he’s got a tough decision to make.
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 25
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)