Jul 12, 2012, 2:16 PM EDT
Then, it was July 16.
It’s simple — there is no deadline.
“There is no relevance to the July 16th date for us,” Doan’s agent, Terry Bross, told USA Today. “That’s off the table.”
A handful of teams have already presented formal offers to the Coyotes’ 35-year-old captain and unrestricted free agent. Three of those teams are reportedly the Kings, Sharks and Canucks.
Of course, Doan’s first choice has always been to stay put, and Glendale’s dismissal of two voter initiatives that could’ve scuttled the sale of the club to Greg Jamison may convince him to sign with the Coyotes.
However, at this point, it’s unlikely anyone can give Doan a guarantee the Coyotes will be in the desert for the rest of his career. And given he doesn’t want to sign a one-year deal to kick the can down the road until next summer, well, he’s got a tough decision to make.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5