Jul 12, 2012, 2:16 PM EST
Then, it was July 16.
It’s simple — there is no deadline.
“There is no relevance to the July 16th date for us,” Doan’s agent, Terry Bross, told USA Today. “That’s off the table.”
A handful of teams have already presented formal offers to the Coyotes’ 35-year-old captain and unrestricted free agent. Three of those teams are reportedly the Kings, Sharks and Canucks.
Of course, Doan’s first choice has always been to stay put, and Glendale’s dismissal of two voter initiatives that could’ve scuttled the sale of the club to Greg Jamison may convince him to sign with the Coyotes.
However, at this point, it’s unlikely anyone can give Doan a guarantee the Coyotes will be in the desert for the rest of his career. And given he doesn’t want to sign a one-year deal to kick the can down the road until next summer, well, he’s got a tough decision to make.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 4
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 1
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)