Jul 12, 2012, 2:16 PM EDT
Then, it was July 16.
It’s simple — there is no deadline.
“There is no relevance to the July 16th date for us,” Doan’s agent, Terry Bross, told USA Today. “That’s off the table.”
A handful of teams have already presented formal offers to the Coyotes’ 35-year-old captain and unrestricted free agent. Three of those teams are reportedly the Kings, Sharks and Canucks.
Of course, Doan’s first choice has always been to stay put, and Glendale’s dismissal of two voter initiatives that could’ve scuttled the sale of the club to Greg Jamison may convince him to sign with the Coyotes.
However, at this point, it’s unlikely anyone can give Doan a guarantee the Coyotes will be in the desert for the rest of his career. And given he doesn’t want to sign a one-year deal to kick the can down the road until next summer, well, he’s got a tough decision to make.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 6
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 29
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)