Jul 12, 2012, 6:17 PM EDT
Late or not (they say not), organizers seeking to put a $324 million lease agreement between the City of Glendale and the Phoenix Coyotes to a November vote submitted their petition signatures today.
Just don’t expect the city to care.
“Their 30 days was up on July 9,” Glendale attorney Craig Tindall said earlier this week, as per the Arizona Republic. “If they turn in signatures after that, they’re going to be late and rejected for that reason.”
Organizers could still challenge the city’s rejection in court, but according to one expert, their chances of successfully challenging are slim.
“That’s a pretty uphill battle for these folks,” attorney Andy Gordon told the Republic. “I think they’re pretty clearly out of time.”
Yesterday, the city rejected another referendum initiative, this one related to a sales-tax hike that the city needs to help pay prospective Coyotes owner, Greg Jamison, to manage the city-owned Jobing.com Arena. Without that arena-management fee, there’s no sale and the team would likely have to move.
Should neither group challenge the rejections in court, attention will turn to the Goldwater Institute, the taxpayer watchdog group that’s still deciding whether it should sue the city for violating the state’s gift clause that forbids government subsidies to corporations.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 11
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 13
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 24
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 27
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 39
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)