Jul 12, 2012, 8:11 AM EST
It’s still possible that the Detroit Red Wings will make a trade for a defenseman, but at this point it’s more likely that they’ll have to look within for solutions. If the Red Wings’ current dynasty is to survive, guys like Brendan Smith will need to make smooth transitions to the NHL level.
Smith is an offensive defenseman who excelled at the University of Wisconsin and has been solid over the last two seasons with the AHL Grand Rapids Griffins. He also got a taste of the NHL last season and got seven points and 13 penalty minutes in 14 games.
According to Cap Geek, Detroit has just four defensemen currently signed to one-way contracts, not including Kyle Quincey whose still a restricted free agent, so this is a golden opportunity for Smith to make the team out of training camp.
“The other few years I wasn’t too sure (about making the NHL), and I was fighting for a spot, but they’ve pretty much told me I’ll be there (this season),” said Smith, according to the Detroit News. “The big thing is, I want to show leadership. I can show them what needs to be done to get to the next level.”
If he can do that, maybe Detroit will be alright next season.
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 2
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 57
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 80
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 29
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)