Jul 11, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals have agreed to terms with UFA winger Wojetk Wolski on a one-year deal worth $600,000.
The deal reflects Wolski’s sharp decline over the last year. The 26-year-old winger was making $3.8 million annually on his last contract but, after falling out of favor in both New York and Florida, is now making $600k.
Things weren’t always this way. A former first-round pick, Wolski averaged 19 goals in his first four seasons, split between the Avalanche and Coyotes.
But he’s been on the move constantly since 2010-11. First, a trade from Phoenix to New York, where he quickly fell out of favor with Rangers bench boss John Tortorella (leading to the infamous “can’t get him out of the tub” remark.)
Then, a trade from New York to Florida, where he scored nine points in 22 games and played in just two of seven playoff contests. The Panthers didn’t offer him a qualifying offer, allowing him to walk for nothing.
The knock on Wolski is he wows his new team upon arrival, then fizzles out.
Foe example, he scored 18 points in 18 games for the Coyotes….then 16 in his next 36.
Similarly, he scored eight points in his first 10 games as a Ranger…then 14 in his next 36.
All this said, this is a decent gamble for Washington. The Caps get a relatively young skill guy with size (6-foot-3, 215 pounds) on the cheap, one that excels in the shootout.
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 3
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 35
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 21
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: Backes crashes into Daley, falls to ice hard (Updated) 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (61)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)