Jul 11, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals have agreed to terms with UFA winger Wojetk Wolski on a one-year deal worth $600,000.
The deal reflects Wolski’s sharp decline over the last year. The 26-year-old winger was making $3.8 million annually on his last contract but, after falling out of favor in both New York and Florida, is now making $600k.
Things weren’t always this way. A former first-round pick, Wolski averaged 19 goals in his first four seasons, split between the Avalanche and Coyotes.
But he’s been on the move constantly since 2010-11. First, a trade from Phoenix to New York, where he quickly fell out of favor with Rangers bench boss John Tortorella (leading to the infamous “can’t get him out of the tub” remark.)
Then, a trade from New York to Florida, where he scored nine points in 22 games and played in just two of seven playoff contests. The Panthers didn’t offer him a qualifying offer, allowing him to walk for nothing.
The knock on Wolski is he wows his new team upon arrival, then fizzles out.
Foe example, he scored 18 points in 18 games for the Coyotes….then 16 in his next 36.
Similarly, he scored eight points in his first 10 games as a Ranger…then 14 in his next 36.
All this said, this is a decent gamble for Washington. The Caps get a relatively young skill guy with size (6-foot-3, 215 pounds) on the cheap, one that excels in the shootout.
- Comeau gets two games for boarding Smith 0
- Three things the Canucks haven’t done well under Torts 6
- Gillis won’t say if Tortorella’s lost Canucks room 23
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 5
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 30
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 18
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 61
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (73)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (61)