Jul 11, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals have agreed to terms with UFA winger Wojetk Wolski on a one-year deal worth $600,000.
The deal reflects Wolski’s sharp decline over the last year. The 26-year-old winger was making $3.8 million annually on his last contract but, after falling out of favor in both New York and Florida, is now making $600k.
Things weren’t always this way. A former first-round pick, Wolski averaged 19 goals in his first four seasons, split between the Avalanche and Coyotes.
But he’s been on the move constantly since 2010-11. First, a trade from Phoenix to New York, where he quickly fell out of favor with Rangers bench boss John Tortorella (leading to the infamous “can’t get him out of the tub” remark.)
Then, a trade from New York to Florida, where he scored nine points in 22 games and played in just two of seven playoff contests. The Panthers didn’t offer him a qualifying offer, allowing him to walk for nothing.
The knock on Wolski is he wows his new team upon arrival, then fizzles out.
Foe example, he scored 18 points in 18 games for the Coyotes….then 16 in his next 36.
Similarly, he scored eight points in his first 10 games as a Ranger…then 14 in his next 36.
All this said, this is a decent gamble for Washington. The Caps get a relatively young skill guy with size (6-foot-3, 215 pounds) on the cheap, one that excels in the shootout.
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 18
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)