Jul 11, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals have agreed to terms with UFA winger Wojetk Wolski on a one-year deal worth $600,000.
The deal reflects Wolski’s sharp decline over the last year. The 26-year-old winger was making $3.8 million annually on his last contract but, after falling out of favor in both New York and Florida, is now making $600k.
Things weren’t always this way. A former first-round pick, Wolski averaged 19 goals in his first four seasons, split between the Avalanche and Coyotes.
But he’s been on the move constantly since 2010-11. First, a trade from Phoenix to New York, where he quickly fell out of favor with Rangers bench boss John Tortorella (leading to the infamous “can’t get him out of the tub” remark.)
Then, a trade from New York to Florida, where he scored nine points in 22 games and played in just two of seven playoff contests. The Panthers didn’t offer him a qualifying offer, allowing him to walk for nothing.
The knock on Wolski is he wows his new team upon arrival, then fizzles out.
Foe example, he scored 18 points in 18 games for the Coyotes….then 16 in his next 36.
Similarly, he scored eight points in his first 10 games as a Ranger…then 14 in his next 36.
All this said, this is a decent gamble for Washington. The Caps get a relatively young skill guy with size (6-foot-3, 215 pounds) on the cheap, one that excels in the shootout.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)