Jul 11, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals have agreed to terms with UFA winger Wojetk Wolski on a one-year deal worth $600,000.
The deal reflects Wolski’s sharp decline over the last year. The 26-year-old winger was making $3.8 million annually on his last contract but, after falling out of favor in both New York and Florida, is now making $600k.
Things weren’t always this way. A former first-round pick, Wolski averaged 19 goals in his first four seasons, split between the Avalanche and Coyotes.
But he’s been on the move constantly since 2010-11. First, a trade from Phoenix to New York, where he quickly fell out of favor with Rangers bench boss John Tortorella (leading to the infamous “can’t get him out of the tub” remark.)
Then, a trade from New York to Florida, where he scored nine points in 22 games and played in just two of seven playoff contests. The Panthers didn’t offer him a qualifying offer, allowing him to walk for nothing.
The knock on Wolski is he wows his new team upon arrival, then fizzles out.
Foe example, he scored 18 points in 18 games for the Coyotes….then 16 in his next 36.
Similarly, he scored eight points in his first 10 games as a Ranger…then 14 in his next 36.
All this said, this is a decent gamble for Washington. The Caps get a relatively young skill guy with size (6-foot-3, 215 pounds) on the cheap, one that excels in the shootout.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)