Jul 11, 2012, 1:01 PM EST
It promises to be a star-studded affair in December when Detroit’s Comerica Park transforms into the Hockeytown Winter Festival.
Especially for the annual Alumni Showdown — well, make that Showdowns.
According to Detroit GM Ken Holland, there will be a pair of alumni contests to facilitate the large number of players that wanted to participate.
On Wednesday, we got a glimpse at that overwhelming number as partial rosters for both the Maple Leafs and Red Wings were named, headlined by Hockey Hall of Famers Darryl Sittler, Alex Delvecchio and Ted Lindsay.
Here are the players that have committed for both sides thus far:
Mike Palmateer, Felix Potvin, Curtis Joseph, Doug Gilmour, Darryl Sittler, Wendel Clark, Dave Andreychuk, Kevin Maguire, Darcy Tucker, Rick Vaive. (Jim McKenny, Ron Ellis and Johnny Bower will participate as well.)
Chris Osgood, Mike Vernon, Dino Ciccarelli, Alex Delvecchio, Ted Lindsay, Joe Kocur, Kris Draper, Kirk Maltby, Darren McCarty, Mickey Redmond, John Ogrodnick, Larry Murphy, Mark Howe, Luc Robitaille.
The Detroit team will be coached by Hockey Hall of Famer Scotty Bowman.
The Alumni Showdown(s) will be played at Comerica on Dec. 31. They will be the culmination of the two-week long Winter Festival, which includes amateur games, open skates, the Great Lakes Invitational (featuring Michigan, Michigan State, Western Michigan and Michigan Tech), an Ontario Hockey League doubleheader (featuring Windsor, Saginaw, Plymouth and London) and an AHL game between the affiliates of the Wings and Leafs — the Grand Rapids Griffins and Toronto Marlies.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)