Jul 11, 2012, 1:01 PM EDT
It promises to be a star-studded affair in December when Detroit’s Comerica Park transforms into the Hockeytown Winter Festival.
Especially for the annual Alumni Showdown — well, make that Showdowns.
According to Detroit GM Ken Holland, there will be a pair of alumni contests to facilitate the large number of players that wanted to participate.
On Wednesday, we got a glimpse at that overwhelming number as partial rosters for both the Maple Leafs and Red Wings were named, headlined by Hockey Hall of Famers Darryl Sittler, Alex Delvecchio and Ted Lindsay.
Here are the players that have committed for both sides thus far:
Mike Palmateer, Felix Potvin, Curtis Joseph, Doug Gilmour, Darryl Sittler, Wendel Clark, Dave Andreychuk, Kevin Maguire, Darcy Tucker, Rick Vaive. (Jim McKenny, Ron Ellis and Johnny Bower will participate as well.)
Chris Osgood, Mike Vernon, Dino Ciccarelli, Alex Delvecchio, Ted Lindsay, Joe Kocur, Kris Draper, Kirk Maltby, Darren McCarty, Mickey Redmond, John Ogrodnick, Larry Murphy, Mark Howe, Luc Robitaille.
The Detroit team will be coached by Hockey Hall of Famer Scotty Bowman.
The Alumni Showdown(s) will be played at Comerica on Dec. 31. They will be the culmination of the two-week long Winter Festival, which includes amateur games, open skates, the Great Lakes Invitational (featuring Michigan, Michigan State, Western Michigan and Michigan Tech), an Ontario Hockey League doubleheader (featuring Windsor, Saginaw, Plymouth and London) and an AHL game between the affiliates of the Wings and Leafs — the Grand Rapids Griffins and Toronto Marlies.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 10
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)