Jul 11, 2012, 1:01 PM EST
It promises to be a star-studded affair in December when Detroit’s Comerica Park transforms into the Hockeytown Winter Festival.
Especially for the annual Alumni Showdown — well, make that Showdowns.
According to Detroit GM Ken Holland, there will be a pair of alumni contests to facilitate the large number of players that wanted to participate.
On Wednesday, we got a glimpse at that overwhelming number as partial rosters for both the Maple Leafs and Red Wings were named, headlined by Hockey Hall of Famers Darryl Sittler, Alex Delvecchio and Ted Lindsay.
Here are the players that have committed for both sides thus far:
Mike Palmateer, Felix Potvin, Curtis Joseph, Doug Gilmour, Darryl Sittler, Wendel Clark, Dave Andreychuk, Kevin Maguire, Darcy Tucker, Rick Vaive. (Jim McKenny, Ron Ellis and Johnny Bower will participate as well.)
Chris Osgood, Mike Vernon, Dino Ciccarelli, Alex Delvecchio, Ted Lindsay, Joe Kocur, Kris Draper, Kirk Maltby, Darren McCarty, Mickey Redmond, John Ogrodnick, Larry Murphy, Mark Howe, Luc Robitaille.
The Detroit team will be coached by Hockey Hall of Famer Scotty Bowman.
The Alumni Showdown(s) will be played at Comerica on Dec. 31. They will be the culmination of the two-week long Winter Festival, which includes amateur games, open skates, the Great Lakes Invitational (featuring Michigan, Michigan State, Western Michigan and Michigan Tech), an Ontario Hockey League doubleheader (featuring Windsor, Saginaw, Plymouth and London) and an AHL game between the affiliates of the Wings and Leafs — the Grand Rapids Griffins and Toronto Marlies.
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 15
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 2
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)