Jul 11, 2012, 1:01 PM EDT
It promises to be a star-studded affair in December when Detroit’s Comerica Park transforms into the Hockeytown Winter Festival.
Especially for the annual Alumni Showdown — well, make that Showdowns.
According to Detroit GM Ken Holland, there will be a pair of alumni contests to facilitate the large number of players that wanted to participate.
On Wednesday, we got a glimpse at that overwhelming number as partial rosters for both the Maple Leafs and Red Wings were named, headlined by Hockey Hall of Famers Darryl Sittler, Alex Delvecchio and Ted Lindsay.
Here are the players that have committed for both sides thus far:
Mike Palmateer, Felix Potvin, Curtis Joseph, Doug Gilmour, Darryl Sittler, Wendel Clark, Dave Andreychuk, Kevin Maguire, Darcy Tucker, Rick Vaive. (Jim McKenny, Ron Ellis and Johnny Bower will participate as well.)
Chris Osgood, Mike Vernon, Dino Ciccarelli, Alex Delvecchio, Ted Lindsay, Joe Kocur, Kris Draper, Kirk Maltby, Darren McCarty, Mickey Redmond, John Ogrodnick, Larry Murphy, Mark Howe, Luc Robitaille.
The Detroit team will be coached by Hockey Hall of Famer Scotty Bowman.
The Alumni Showdown(s) will be played at Comerica on Dec. 31. They will be the culmination of the two-week long Winter Festival, which includes amateur games, open skates, the Great Lakes Invitational (featuring Michigan, Michigan State, Western Michigan and Michigan Tech), an Ontario Hockey League doubleheader (featuring Windsor, Saginaw, Plymouth and London) and an AHL game between the affiliates of the Wings and Leafs — the Grand Rapids Griffins and Toronto Marlies.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)