Jul 11, 2012, 4:57 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks have agreed to a five-year contract extension with defenseman Marc-Edouard Vlasic.
According to reports, the deal is worth $21 million — an average annual cap hit of $4.2 million.
Vlasic, 25, has spent his entire six-year career in San Jose, emerging as a solid top-four defenseman that rarely misses games.
Aside from a lower-body injury that cost him 17 contests during the 2009-10 season, Vlasic has played in at least 80 games every year, including all 82 during the 2011-12 campaign.
Last year, Vlasic was second on the Sharks in ice time with 23:09 per game, scoring four goals while adding 19 assists for 23 points.
Extending Vlasic is a savvy move by Sharks GM Doug Wilson. This year’s UFA market showed a noted price increase for top-four defensemen (see: Dennis Wideman and Jason Garrison) and by locking Vlasic up, the Sharks avoid him going unrestricted next summer.
Vlasic is heading into the final season of a four-year, $12.4 million deal that pays $3.1 million annually.
- Gillis won’t say if Tortorella’s lost Canucks room 18
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 5
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 30
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 19
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (73)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)