Jul 11, 2012, 4:57 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks have agreed to a five-year contract extension with defenseman Marc-Edouard Vlasic.
According to reports, the deal is worth $21 million — an average annual cap hit of $4.2 million.
Vlasic, 25, has spent his entire six-year career in San Jose, emerging as a solid top-four defenseman that rarely misses games.
Aside from a lower-body injury that cost him 17 contests during the 2009-10 season, Vlasic has played in at least 80 games every year, including all 82 during the 2011-12 campaign.
Last year, Vlasic was second on the Sharks in ice time with 23:09 per game, scoring four goals while adding 19 assists for 23 points.
Extending Vlasic is a savvy move by Sharks GM Doug Wilson. This year’s UFA market showed a noted price increase for top-four defensemen (see: Dennis Wideman and Jason Garrison) and by locking Vlasic up, the Sharks avoid him going unrestricted next summer.
Vlasic is heading into the final season of a four-year, $12.4 million deal that pays $3.1 million annually.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)