Jul 11, 2012, 5:37 PM EDT
More minor transactions…
Phoenix lands tough guy Rechlicz
The Phoenix Coyotes have agreed to terms with noted AHL tough guy Joel Rechlicz on a one-year, two-way deal. The 25-year-old gained some minor notoriety last season when, as a member of AHL Hershey, he was summoned to the Washington Capitals by head coach Dale Hunter.
The recall made waves because Rechlicz racked up huge PIM for the Bears (he led the league at the time) and Hunter, as you may know, is the Caps’ all-time leader in penalty minutes.
“A lot of teams have heavyweights and he’s going to add toughness to our team,” Hunter said at the time. “He’s a tough character and he’s just a tough guy you can have on the road.”
Unfortunately for Rechlicz, he wasn’t on the road for long. He was called up on Jan. 30, and sent back down on Feb. 3.
Boston signs Exelby, MacDermid
The Bruins added some organizational depth by inking defensemen Garnet Exelby and forward Lane MacDermid. Both signed one-year, two-way deals worth $600,000 at the NHL level.
Exelby, 30, is a veteran of over 400 NHL contests, though he hasn’t played one since appearing 51 times for Toronto during the 2009-10 campaign, averaging a shade over 10 minutes per night.
MacDermid, 22, made his NHL debut with the Bruins last year and appeared in five games. He was taken 112th overall by Boston at the 2009 Entry Draft and, it should be noted, is the son of longtime Hartford Whaler Paul MacDermid.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 21
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 16
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 27
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 61
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (66)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)