Jul 11, 2012, 5:37 PM EDT
More minor transactions…
Phoenix lands tough guy Rechlicz
The Phoenix Coyotes have agreed to terms with noted AHL tough guy Joel Rechlicz on a one-year, two-way deal. The 25-year-old gained some minor notoriety last season when, as a member of AHL Hershey, he was summoned to the Washington Capitals by head coach Dale Hunter.
The recall made waves because Rechlicz racked up huge PIM for the Bears (he led the league at the time) and Hunter, as you may know, is the Caps’ all-time leader in penalty minutes.
“A lot of teams have heavyweights and he’s going to add toughness to our team,” Hunter said at the time. “He’s a tough character and he’s just a tough guy you can have on the road.”
Unfortunately for Rechlicz, he wasn’t on the road for long. He was called up on Jan. 30, and sent back down on Feb. 3.
Boston signs Exelby, MacDermid
The Bruins added some organizational depth by inking defensemen Garnet Exelby and forward Lane MacDermid. Both signed one-year, two-way deals worth $600,000 at the NHL level.
Exelby, 30, is a veteran of over 400 NHL contests, though he hasn’t played one since appearing 51 times for Toronto during the 2009-10 campaign, averaging a shade over 10 minutes per night.
MacDermid, 22, made his NHL debut with the Bruins last year and appeared in five games. He was taken 112th overall by Boston at the 2009 Entry Draft and, it should be noted, is the son of longtime Hartford Whaler Paul MacDermid.
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 1
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 2
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 25
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)