Jul 11, 2012, 5:37 PM EDT
More minor transactions…
Phoenix lands tough guy Rechlicz
The Phoenix Coyotes have agreed to terms with noted AHL tough guy Joel Rechlicz on a one-year, two-way deal. The 25-year-old gained some minor notoriety last season when, as a member of AHL Hershey, he was summoned to the Washington Capitals by head coach Dale Hunter.
The recall made waves because Rechlicz racked up huge PIM for the Bears (he led the league at the time) and Hunter, as you may know, is the Caps’ all-time leader in penalty minutes.
“A lot of teams have heavyweights and he’s going to add toughness to our team,” Hunter said at the time. “He’s a tough character and he’s just a tough guy you can have on the road.”
Unfortunately for Rechlicz, he wasn’t on the road for long. He was called up on Jan. 30, and sent back down on Feb. 3.
Boston signs Exelby, MacDermid
The Bruins added some organizational depth by inking defensemen Garnet Exelby and forward Lane MacDermid. Both signed one-year, two-way deals worth $600,000 at the NHL level.
Exelby, 30, is a veteran of over 400 NHL contests, though he hasn’t played one since appearing 51 times for Toronto during the 2009-10 campaign, averaging a shade over 10 minutes per night.
MacDermid, 22, made his NHL debut with the Bruins last year and appeared in five games. He was taken 112th overall by Boston at the 2009 Entry Draft and, it should be noted, is the son of longtime Hartford Whaler Paul MacDermid.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)