Jul 11, 2012, 5:37 PM EDT
More minor transactions…
Phoenix lands tough guy Rechlicz
The Phoenix Coyotes have agreed to terms with noted AHL tough guy Joel Rechlicz on a one-year, two-way deal. The 25-year-old gained some minor notoriety last season when, as a member of AHL Hershey, he was summoned to the Washington Capitals by head coach Dale Hunter.
The recall made waves because Rechlicz racked up huge PIM for the Bears (he led the league at the time) and Hunter, as you may know, is the Caps’ all-time leader in penalty minutes.
“A lot of teams have heavyweights and he’s going to add toughness to our team,” Hunter said at the time. “He’s a tough character and he’s just a tough guy you can have on the road.”
Unfortunately for Rechlicz, he wasn’t on the road for long. He was called up on Jan. 30, and sent back down on Feb. 3.
Boston signs Exelby, MacDermid
The Bruins added some organizational depth by inking defensemen Garnet Exelby and forward Lane MacDermid. Both signed one-year, two-way deals worth $600,000 at the NHL level.
Exelby, 30, is a veteran of over 400 NHL contests, though he hasn’t played one since appearing 51 times for Toronto during the 2009-10 campaign, averaging a shade over 10 minutes per night.
MacDermid, 22, made his NHL debut with the Bruins last year and appeared in five games. He was taken 112th overall by Boston at the 2009 Entry Draft and, it should be noted, is the son of longtime Hartford Whaler Paul MacDermid.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)