Jul 11, 2012, 5:37 PM EDT
More minor transactions…
Phoenix lands tough guy Rechlicz
The Phoenix Coyotes have agreed to terms with noted AHL tough guy Joel Rechlicz on a one-year, two-way deal. The 25-year-old gained some minor notoriety last season when, as a member of AHL Hershey, he was summoned to the Washington Capitals by head coach Dale Hunter.
The recall made waves because Rechlicz racked up huge PIM for the Bears (he led the league at the time) and Hunter, as you may know, is the Caps’ all-time leader in penalty minutes.
“A lot of teams have heavyweights and he’s going to add toughness to our team,” Hunter said at the time. “He’s a tough character and he’s just a tough guy you can have on the road.”
Unfortunately for Rechlicz, he wasn’t on the road for long. He was called up on Jan. 30, and sent back down on Feb. 3.
Boston signs Exelby, MacDermid
The Bruins added some organizational depth by inking defensemen Garnet Exelby and forward Lane MacDermid. Both signed one-year, two-way deals worth $600,000 at the NHL level.
Exelby, 30, is a veteran of over 400 NHL contests, though he hasn’t played one since appearing 51 times for Toronto during the 2009-10 campaign, averaging a shade over 10 minutes per night.
MacDermid, 22, made his NHL debut with the Bruins last year and appeared in five games. He was taken 112th overall by Boston at the 2009 Entry Draft and, it should be noted, is the son of longtime Hartford Whaler Paul MacDermid.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 0
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 31
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 19
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 82
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (82)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)