Jul 11, 2012, 3:58 PM EDT
From the “Curious Timing” file…
According to Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News, recently acquired Stars center Derek Roy had shoulder surgery on Wednesday, a procedure that will keep the 29-year-old out of the lineup until November.
The news has caught many off guard, mostly because Roy came to Dallas from Buffalo in a trade consummated nine days ago.
This raises a number of questions, including:
– Were the Sabres aware of Roy’s shoulder issue upon dealing him?
(Update: Yes, according to Heika. “He had shoulder pain last season and played through it.”)
– Were the Stars aware of it upon acquiring him?
(Update: Sorta, according to Heika. “He was cleared medically and this was discovered in a full physical in Dallas.”)
– If so, was Dallas aware the procedure to fix it would require up to fourth months of rehab?
(Update: Yes, according to Heika. “Stars felt now the time to fix it. Stars GM said Roy could have played through it, but ‘we want the best Derek Roy we can get.”’)
Aside from missing four games with a shoulder injury in 2007-08, Roy’s health history doesn’t have any massive red flags. He’s appeared in at least 80 games in three of the last four seasons and suited up for all 82 in 2008-09.
(Granted, he had season-ending quadriceps surgery halfway through 2010-11.)
Roy was projected to center the Stars’ second line with Whitney and Michael Ryder on the wings. The depth behind him down the middle — Cody Eakin, Tom Wandell, Vernon Fiddler — isn’t exactly top-six material.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)