Jul 11, 2012, 3:58 PM EST
From the “Curious Timing” file…
According to Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News, recently acquired Stars center Derek Roy had shoulder surgery on Wednesday, a procedure that will keep the 29-year-old out of the lineup until November.
The news has caught many off guard, mostly because Roy came to Dallas from Buffalo in a trade consummated nine days ago.
This raises a number of questions, including:
– Were the Sabres aware of Roy’s shoulder issue upon dealing him?
(Update: Yes, according to Heika. “He had shoulder pain last season and played through it.”)
– Were the Stars aware of it upon acquiring him?
(Update: Sorta, according to Heika. “He was cleared medically and this was discovered in a full physical in Dallas.”)
– If so, was Dallas aware the procedure to fix it would require up to fourth months of rehab?
(Update: Yes, according to Heika. “Stars felt now the time to fix it. Stars GM said Roy could have played through it, but ‘we want the best Derek Roy we can get.”’)
Aside from missing four games with a shoulder injury in 2007-08, Roy’s health history doesn’t have any massive red flags. He’s appeared in at least 80 games in three of the last four seasons and suited up for all 82 in 2008-09.
(Granted, he had season-ending quadriceps surgery halfway through 2010-11.)
Roy was projected to center the Stars’ second line with Whitney and Michael Ryder on the wings. The depth behind him down the middle — Cody Eakin, Tom Wandell, Vernon Fiddler — isn’t exactly top-six material.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 48
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (49)