Jul 11, 2012, 3:58 PM EDT
From the “Curious Timing” file…
According to Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News, recently acquired Stars center Derek Roy had shoulder surgery on Wednesday, a procedure that will keep the 29-year-old out of the lineup until November.
The news has caught many off guard, mostly because Roy came to Dallas from Buffalo in a trade consummated nine days ago.
This raises a number of questions, including:
— Were the Sabres aware of Roy’s shoulder issue upon dealing him?
(Update: Yes, according to Heika. “He had shoulder pain last season and played through it.”)
— Were the Stars aware of it upon acquiring him?
(Update: Sorta, according to Heika. “He was cleared medically and this was discovered in a full physical in Dallas.”)
— If so, was Dallas aware the procedure to fix it would require up to fourth months of rehab?
(Update: Yes, according to Heika. “Stars felt now the time to fix it. Stars GM said Roy could have played through it, but ‘we want the best Derek Roy we can get.”’)
Aside from missing four games with a shoulder injury in 2007-08, Roy’s health history doesn’t have any massive red flags. He’s appeared in at least 80 games in three of the last four seasons and suited up for all 82 in 2008-09.
(Granted, he had season-ending quadriceps surgery halfway through 2010-11.)
Roy was projected to center the Stars’ second line with Whitney and Michael Ryder on the wings. The depth behind him down the middle — Cody Eakin, Tom Wandell, Vernon Fiddler — isn’t exactly top-six material.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)