Jul 11, 2012, 3:58 PM EDT
From the “Curious Timing” file…
According to Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News, recently acquired Stars center Derek Roy had shoulder surgery on Wednesday, a procedure that will keep the 29-year-old out of the lineup until November.
The news has caught many off guard, mostly because Roy came to Dallas from Buffalo in a trade consummated nine days ago.
This raises a number of questions, including:
— Were the Sabres aware of Roy’s shoulder issue upon dealing him?
(Update: Yes, according to Heika. “He had shoulder pain last season and played through it.”)
— Were the Stars aware of it upon acquiring him?
(Update: Sorta, according to Heika. “He was cleared medically and this was discovered in a full physical in Dallas.”)
— If so, was Dallas aware the procedure to fix it would require up to fourth months of rehab?
(Update: Yes, according to Heika. “Stars felt now the time to fix it. Stars GM said Roy could have played through it, but ‘we want the best Derek Roy we can get.”’)
Aside from missing four games with a shoulder injury in 2007-08, Roy’s health history doesn’t have any massive red flags. He’s appeared in at least 80 games in three of the last four seasons and suited up for all 82 in 2008-09.
(Granted, he had season-ending quadriceps surgery halfway through 2010-11.)
Roy was projected to center the Stars’ second line with Whitney and Michael Ryder on the wings. The depth behind him down the middle — Cody Eakin, Tom Wandell, Vernon Fiddler — isn’t exactly top-six material.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 77
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32