Jul 11, 2012, 1:02 PM EDT
Bit of a curious column in today’s Arizona Republic. Under the headline “Note to Shane Doan: Run, before it’s too late,” Dan Bickley compares the Coyotes’ captain’s situation to that of Steve Nash, the Phoenix Suns star that just blew town to join the hated Los Angeles Lakers.
…it’s hard to see past the sting, that Nash could actually side with a nemesis. He’ll make the Lakers one of the more exciting teams in the league. He’ll empower all the taunting, front-running Lakers fans in the Valley, the ones who live to annoy the rest of us.
To follow Nash’s stunning departure with the loss of you — one of the last true cowboys, one of the last truly loyal people in sports — well, that would be salt in the wound, a casualty of one of the sorrier sagas in NHL history.
But the situation in Glendale remains exhausting and absurd, from petition drives to legal wrangling to a watchdog organization whose concerns far exceed those of local residents. Anyone else would’ve lost patience with this organization years ago.
To be perfectly honest, we’re not entirely sure what Bickley was trying to get at. Was he actually encouraging Doan to leave for greener pastures? Or, was it more a commentary on the shortage of loyalty in professional sports? (Meanwhile, in Miami, Ray Allen has officially signed with the Heat despite the Celtics offering him more money to stay in Boston.)
At the very least, the column’s created quite the debate in the comments section, so feel free to discuss below. If Doan leaves, would it be the same as Nash or Allen leaving, or is each situation too different to compare?
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 4
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 11
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 25
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 41
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13