Jul 11, 2012, 9:46 PM EDT
Considering how shallow (and risk-heavy) the NHL free agent market is, Peter Mueller struck me as one of the most interesting gambles of all the unrestricted guys below the “obvious star” level. Renaud P. Lavoie reports that the Florida Panthers decided to roll the dice with the promising-but-concussion-plagued winger, handing him a one-year contract worth $1.725 million.
GM Dale Tallon hit the jackpot with one of his injury risks last summer as Tomas Fleischmann set career-highs with 27 goals and 61 points. Naturally, concussion and blood clot issues aren’t the same thing, yet the Panthers aren’t making anywhere near the investment in term or dollars for Mueller.
As of this moment, Mueller’s salary would make him the sixth-highest paid forward, which probably makes sense since the Panthers probably envision him – ideally – as a top-six guy.
Still, there is some risk involved. Mueller’s concussion issues limited him to 32 games last season and wiped out his 2010-11 campaign completely. Wasted money would still be wasted money if he can’t play a game.
Even so, Mueller’s potential is tantalizing. He was the eighth overall pick of the 2006 draft and while his foot speed is lacking, he has nice size and a useful right-handed shot. If he can be reasonably healthy, he could provide Florida with some of the depth offense they needed last season. (The team struggled to score beyond the big first line that usually featured Fleischmann, Stephen Weiss and Kris Versteeg.)
Speaking of Versteeg, re-signing him likely remains the highest priority on Florida’s off-season to-do list. Unless you count trading for Roberto Luongo, that is.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 14
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 22
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 14
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (43)