Jul 11, 2012, 7:00 PM EDT
As the anniversary of the Lokomotiv tragedy approaches, the team is rebuilding itself as a KHL contender with ex-NHL players such as recently-signed forward Niklas Hagman. Still, the players and staffers who were lost on Sept. 7, 2011 are irreplaceable, so many NHL players will honor their memory during a “Memory Night” exhibition game in Switzerland.
Dougas Flynn reports that the August 4 contest will pit the Swiss league’s Kolten Flyers against a team full of star players including Zdeno Chara, Evgeni Malkin, Ilya Kovalchuk, Pavel Datsyuk, Ilya Bryzgalov, Sergei Gonchar and Alexander Semin. Former NHL players (retired or overseas) also planning to participate include Alexei Kovalev, Alex Yashin, Sergei Fedorov and Sandis Ozolinsh.
The most noteworthy Kolten Flyers player is Michael Nylander.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 33
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 13
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 94
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 17
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (94)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)