Jul 11, 2012, 7:00 PM EST
As the anniversary of the Lokomotiv tragedy approaches, the team is rebuilding itself as a KHL contender with ex-NHL players such as recently-signed forward Niklas Hagman. Still, the players and staffers who were lost on Sept. 7, 2011 are irreplaceable, so many NHL players will honor their memory during a “Memory Night” exhibition game in Switzerland.
Dougas Flynn reports that the August 4 contest will pit the Swiss league’s Kolten Flyers against a team full of star players including Zdeno Chara, Evgeni Malkin, Ilya Kovalchuk, Pavel Datsyuk, Ilya Bryzgalov, Sergei Gonchar and Alexander Semin. Former NHL players (retired or overseas) also planning to participate include Alexei Kovalev, Alex Yashin, Sergei Fedorov and Sandis Ozolinsh.
The most noteworthy Kolten Flyers player is Michael Nylander.
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 4
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2
- Crosby back for Pens after missing three games with the mumps 1
- Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams 9
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 2
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 24
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11