Jul 11, 2012, 2:26 PM EDT
Roberto Luongo has lived to sit and shuffle his chips another day at the main event of the World Series of Poker in Las Vegas.
From the Vancouver Sun:
Luongo finished his fifth level of play Tuesday night with 142,400 chips and was in 253rd place. Gaelle Baumann of France led with 505,800 chips. Luongo’s brother, Fabio, stood in 130th place with 186,000 chips. Players began the tournament with 30,000 chips.
Luongo will resume play Thursday when the huge field is condensed into one group. Up until now, the field has been split into three groups — A, B and C.
The main event runs until July 16, save for the final table which is played in October. The winner will take home $8,527,982.
As odd as it sounds, it’s worth wondering if the WSOP is holding up a Luongo trade. Considering how seriously he takes poker, it would be pretty unfair if the Canucks pulled the trigger on a deal while he was participating in the world’s most famous tournament.
Not to mention, press conferences always accompany major trades, and he’s not going to do one in Vegas.
On June 29, it was reported that the Florida Panthers were “internally getting ready for the return of Roberto Luongo.”
- PHT Morning Skate: Two top scoring duos collide in Ducks vs. Stars 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Sharks get over past playoff hurdles? 4
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 15
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 8
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)