Jul 11, 2012, 2:15 PM EST
Gragnani, 25, turned heads during the 2011 postseason when he led Buffalo in scoring — seven points in seven games — during the Sabres’ opening-round loss to Philadelphia.
He followed that up by scoring 12 points in 44 games last season before being dealt to Vancouver…where things didn’t go especially well.
The Canucks dressed Gragnani for 14 games (the exact number that prevented him from becoming a Group 6 unrestricted free agent) during which he proved to be a defensive liability, finishing minus-4.
Vancouver then tried to trade Gragnani at the draft but, when no suitors emerged, he wasn’t given a qualifying offer and became a UFA anyway.
Gragnani should have a decent shot of sticking in Carolina given the Hurricanes’ lack of depth on the blueline. Joni Pitkanen, Tim Gleason, Joe Corvo, Jamie McBain, Justin Faulk and Jay Harrison are the six under contract, though 2011 first-round pick Ryan Murphy will be in the mix as well.
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 35
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 26
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 6
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 25
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 102
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 130
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (131)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (110)