Jul 11, 2012, 2:15 PM EDT
Gragnani, 25, turned heads during the 2011 postseason when he led Buffalo in scoring — seven points in seven games — during the Sabres’ opening-round loss to Philadelphia.
He followed that up by scoring 12 points in 44 games last season before being dealt to Vancouver…where things didn’t go especially well.
The Canucks dressed Gragnani for 14 games (the exact number that prevented him from becoming a Group 6 unrestricted free agent) during which he proved to be a defensive liability, finishing minus-4.
Vancouver then tried to trade Gragnani at the draft but, when no suitors emerged, he wasn’t given a qualifying offer and became a UFA anyway.
Gragnani should have a decent shot of sticking in Carolina given the Hurricanes’ lack of depth on the blueline. Joni Pitkanen, Tim Gleason, Joe Corvo, Jamie McBain, Justin Faulk and Jay Harrison are the six under contract, though 2011 first-round pick Ryan Murphy will be in the mix as well.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 61
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)