Jul 10, 2012, 1:01 PM EST
Canucks assistant GM Laurence Gilman has confirmed his club’s interest in signing unrestricted free agent Shane Doan.
“I have spoken to Shane Doan on behalf of our organization a couple of times,” Gilman told the Vancouver Sun Monday. “I spoke with him on July 1 to express our interest in bringing him to Vancouver and subsequently followed up with Shane last night. I know from my experience in Phoenix that he has been interested in Vancouver in the past. He’s a western Canadian guy whose wife is from Kamloops. So I think there is interest there. I had productive discussions with both Shane and his agent.”
Whether the Canucks are willing to give Doan, 35, a three- or four-year contract will be interesting to see. They didn’t want to sign defenseman Sami Salo, 37, for more than one year and watched him walk away to Tampa Bay.
“For players over 35, it’s very dangerous territory,” GM Mike Gillis said. “If anything happens it counts against your cap. We were comfortable going one year at a time with Sami.”
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 3
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 14
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 58
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5