Jul 10, 2012, 10:51 AM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres could have a new — and decidedly young — look at center next season.
There’s also the possibility for a pair of 18-year-old first-round picks, Mikhail Grigorenko and Zemgus Girgensons, to be in the mix as well.
Both are participating at Sabres prospect camp this week, where they were asked about their goals for the 2012-13 season.
For Grigorenko, it’s to be in the show.
“Make the NHL,” the 12th overall pick said. “I’m getting stronger and on the ice I feel more comfortable.”
The Russian sniper has two options — either he makes the NHL, or is sent back to Quebec of the QMJHL.
For Girgensons, it’s a little more complex. Because he played in the USHL (Dubuque) last year, he can sign with the Sabres and start his professional career right away — either in Buffalo or AHL Rochester.
He could also keep his commitment to the University of Vermont.
“Nothing’s been clarified yet. We’ll see what happens after camp. I don’t know,” the 14th overall pick said. “That’s something I’ve got to talk through this week. I think it will be my own decision. No one’s pushing me, but it’s something I have to decide. … It’s something in me, what my heart’s going to say.
“The decision I’m going to make is what I want.”
The Sabres had some fun with the two draftees at development camp, putting them on the same line as 2011 first-round pick Joel Armia (16th overall). It gave a glimpse to what the future has in store for Buffalo, perhaps utilizing Girgensons on the left or right side.
“We clicked together pretty good, I think, so we’ll see how it goes this week,” he explained. “It’s not a problem for me to transfer to the wing.”
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 4
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 5
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 3
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 17
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9