Jul 10, 2012, 1:43 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning added some toughness and grit on Tuesday by acquiring B.J. Crombeen from St. Louis for a package of picks.
To Tampa: Crombeen, 2014 fifth-round pick
To St. Louis: 2013 fourth-round pick, 2014 fourth-round pick
A second round pick by Dallas in 2003, Crombeen spent the last four years in the Blues organization but saw his role decrease significantly last year. He appeared in just 40 games — way down from the 80 he played in 2010-11 — and only dressed for seven of St. Louis’ nine playoff contests.
At 6-foot-2, 212 pounds, Crombeen will add toughness and pugilistic skills to the Bolts lineup. He fought 18 times in 2009-10, 17 times in 2010-11 and nine times last year despite playing less than half of St. Louis’ games.
His presence should be a welcome reprieve for Ryan Malone, who led Tampa in fighting majors last year — with six.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)