Jul 10, 2012, 1:43 PM EST
The Tampa Bay Lightning added some toughness and grit on Tuesday by acquiring B.J. Crombeen from St. Louis for a package of picks.
To Tampa: Crombeen, 2014 fifth-round pick
To St. Louis: 2013 fourth-round pick, 2014 fourth-round pick
A second round pick by Dallas in 2003, Crombeen spent the last four years in the Blues organization but saw his role decrease significantly last year. He appeared in just 40 games — way down from the 80 he played in 2010-11 — and only dressed for seven of St. Louis’ nine playoff contests.
At 6-foot-2, 212 pounds, Crombeen will add toughness and pugilistic skills to the Bolts lineup. He fought 18 times in 2009-10, 17 times in 2010-11 and nine times last year despite playing less than half of St. Louis’ games.
His presence should be a welcome reprieve for Ryan Malone, who led Tampa in fighting majors last year — with six.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 8
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)