Jul 10, 2012, 1:43 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning added some toughness and grit on Tuesday by acquiring B.J. Crombeen from St. Louis for a package of picks.
To Tampa: Crombeen, 2014 fifth-round pick
To St. Louis: 2013 fourth-round pick, 2014 fourth-round pick
A second round pick by Dallas in 2003, Crombeen spent the last four years in the Blues organization but saw his role decrease significantly last year. He appeared in just 40 games — way down from the 80 he played in 2010-11 — and only dressed for seven of St. Louis’ nine playoff contests.
At 6-foot-2, 212 pounds, Crombeen will add toughness and pugilistic skills to the Bolts lineup. He fought 18 times in 2009-10, 17 times in 2010-11 and nine times last year despite playing less than half of St. Louis’ games.
His presence should be a welcome reprieve for Ryan Malone, who led Tampa in fighting majors last year — with six.
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 6
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 5
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 30
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 52
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 82
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 9
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Pats' Hernandez questioned in murder case
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut