Jul 10, 2012, 6:55 PM EST
The Dallas Stars are going through a wrinkle-heavy makeover by adding veterans such as Jaromir Jagr and Ray Whitney to the mix. Some wonder if those changes might push captain Brenden Morrow out of town, yet GM Joe Nieuwendyk gave Morrow the equivalent to a vote of confidence when Mike Heika asked today.
“We had a good talk the other day, and I told him I very much believe there’s a place for him on this team,” Nieuwendyk said.“I told him I fully expect him to be out there on the power play in front of the net where he’s always been.”
Still, Nieuwendyk also said that “there’s nothing written in stone” that guarantees Morrow to stay. In other words, it appears that the Stars are leaving both doors wide open.
Morrow told Heika that he would prefer to stick around, but also understands the fact that hockey is a business.
“You asked me: Do I want to be a Dallas Star, and the answer is definitely yes,” Morrow said. “If they want to trade me or they indicate to me that they don’t want me, then obviously I don’t want to be there or stand in their way. But, until they say that they want to trade me or ask me to waive my no-trade clause, then I’m excited to be on the team and I’m ready to get going next season.”
Health was a big problem for Morrow last season, so perhaps the Stars will elect to move him out of town like they did with Steve Ott. It seems like staying and leaving are equally likely at this point, so we’ll just need to wait and see what happens.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 16
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 61
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (62)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)