Jul 10, 2012, 6:55 PM EST
The Dallas Stars are going through a wrinkle-heavy makeover by adding veterans such as Jaromir Jagr and Ray Whitney to the mix. Some wonder if those changes might push captain Brenden Morrow out of town, yet GM Joe Nieuwendyk gave Morrow the equivalent to a vote of confidence when Mike Heika asked today.
“We had a good talk the other day, and I told him I very much believe there’s a place for him on this team,” Nieuwendyk said.“I told him I fully expect him to be out there on the power play in front of the net where he’s always been.”
Still, Nieuwendyk also said that “there’s nothing written in stone” that guarantees Morrow to stay. In other words, it appears that the Stars are leaving both doors wide open.
Morrow told Heika that he would prefer to stick around, but also understands the fact that hockey is a business.
“You asked me: Do I want to be a Dallas Star, and the answer is definitely yes,” Morrow said. “If they want to trade me or they indicate to me that they don’t want me, then obviously I don’t want to be there or stand in their way. But, until they say that they want to trade me or ask me to waive my no-trade clause, then I’m excited to be on the team and I’m ready to get going next season.”
Health was a big problem for Morrow last season, so perhaps the Stars will elect to move him out of town like they did with Steve Ott. It seems like staying and leaving are equally likely at this point, so we’ll just need to wait and see what happens.
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 4
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 65
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 133
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (133)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (115)