Jul 10, 2012, 6:55 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars are going through a wrinkle-heavy makeover by adding veterans such as Jaromir Jagr and Ray Whitney to the mix. Some wonder if those changes might push captain Brenden Morrow out of town, yet GM Joe Nieuwendyk gave Morrow the equivalent to a vote of confidence when Mike Heika asked today.
“We had a good talk the other day, and I told him I very much believe there’s a place for him on this team,” Nieuwendyk said.“I told him I fully expect him to be out there on the power play in front of the net where he’s always been.”
Still, Nieuwendyk also said that “there’s nothing written in stone” that guarantees Morrow to stay. In other words, it appears that the Stars are leaving both doors wide open.
Morrow told Heika that he would prefer to stick around, but also understands the fact that hockey is a business.
“You asked me: Do I want to be a Dallas Star, and the answer is definitely yes,” Morrow said. “If they want to trade me or they indicate to me that they don’t want me, then obviously I don’t want to be there or stand in their way. But, until they say that they want to trade me or ask me to waive my no-trade clause, then I’m excited to be on the team and I’m ready to get going next season.”
Health was a big problem for Morrow last season, so perhaps the Stars will elect to move him out of town like they did with Steve Ott. It seems like staying and leaving are equally likely at this point, so we’ll just need to wait and see what happens.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 75
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 33
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (75)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)