Jul 10, 2012, 6:55 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars are going through a wrinkle-heavy makeover by adding veterans such as Jaromir Jagr and Ray Whitney to the mix. Some wonder if those changes might push captain Brenden Morrow out of town, yet GM Joe Nieuwendyk gave Morrow the equivalent to a vote of confidence when Mike Heika asked today.
“We had a good talk the other day, and I told him I very much believe there’s a place for him on this team,” Nieuwendyk said.“I told him I fully expect him to be out there on the power play in front of the net where he’s always been.”
Still, Nieuwendyk also said that “there’s nothing written in stone” that guarantees Morrow to stay. In other words, it appears that the Stars are leaving both doors wide open.
Morrow told Heika that he would prefer to stick around, but also understands the fact that hockey is a business.
“You asked me: Do I want to be a Dallas Star, and the answer is definitely yes,” Morrow said. “If they want to trade me or they indicate to me that they don’t want me, then obviously I don’t want to be there or stand in their way. But, until they say that they want to trade me or ask me to waive my no-trade clause, then I’m excited to be on the team and I’m ready to get going next season.”
Health was a big problem for Morrow last season, so perhaps the Stars will elect to move him out of town like they did with Steve Ott. It seems like staying and leaving are equally likely at this point, so we’ll just need to wait and see what happens.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)