Jul 10, 2012, 12:07 PM EST
Eric Staal likes how aggressive the Hurricanes have been in acquiring talent this offseason.
Now he hopes it’ll continue.
“For me, just the fact that we’re even in the mix, that we threw offers out there to these elite guys, is exciting,” Staal told the Raleigh News and Observer. “Sometimes you hear the same teams every year doing the same things. For us to be involved and make a pitch, it was big. We aren’t far off.
“We’ve got some very good pieces in place, and if we can add, like they’re saying, another elite forward, it will definitely put us in the mix among the top teams in the Eastern Conference.”
The question, of course, is if an elite forward can be acquired.
After Zach Parise went off the market, almost every NHL team (not located in Minnesota) shifted its focus to Shane Doan and Bobby Ryan. If the ‘Canes don’t win either of those sweepstakes — and based on the number of alternate suitors, it’ll be hard to — then it’s off to the scraps of free agency.
That’s important, because the type of talent Carolina needs might not be available. The ‘Canes best forwards are the Staals, Jeff Skinner, Tuomo Ruutu and Jussi Jokinen which, for you mathletes out there, is only five guys. (All apologies to Jiri Tlusty and Chad LaRose.)
They need another to round out the top six, which is probably why they’ve expressed mild interest in Alex Semin. He might not be the elite talented needed to compete with the best in the East, but could be good enough to get Carolina back into the playoff picture.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (121)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)