Jul 10, 2012, 3:17 PM EDT
According to Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press, Mike Modano is “expected to be among the names announced” when the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame names its 2012 inductees on Wednesday.
If accurate, the decision won’t be much of a surprise. The 42-year-old is the all-time goals and points leader among American-born NHL players.
Modano also routinely represented the U.S. internationally, winning a gold medal at the 1996 World Cup of Hockey and a silver medal at the 2002 Winter Olympics.
Modano retired after an injury-riddled 2010-11 season in Detroit. He’d signed with the Wings at age 40 after spending 20 years with the Minnesota/Dallas organization and still remains the Stars’ all-time leader in goals, assists, points and games played.
Built in 1973, the U.S. HHOF honors outstanding coaches, players, builders and administrators that contributed to the success and promotion of American Hockey.
Last year’s inductees included NHL on NBC analyst Mike “Doc” Emrick along with ex-NHLers Keith Tkachuk, Jeremy Roenick and Gary Suter. Philadelphia Flyers owner Ed Snider was also inducted.
As for the 2012 class, other possible inductees (based on who finished their playing careers in 2011) include Doug Weight, Chris Drury and Brian Rafalski.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)