Jul 10, 2012, 12:40 AM EDT
The Rangers got a chance to see the 36-year-old forward during the team’s seven-game series against Halpern’s last team, the Washington Capitals. Halpern is most obviously connected to the Capitals franchise as his first stint with the team lasted six seasons. After that, he bounced around the NHL quite a bit before returning to D.C., where he was born.
It was a cool story that the Capitals brought back a “native” of the market, but Halpern is a depth guy rather than a big difference-maker so it’s not shocking that he didn’t stick.
The clearest way he’s likely to help New York is in the faceoff circle, where Halpern won a staggering 58.4 percent of his draws last season. The Rangers’ two most frequent faceoff takers (Brad Richards and Artem Anisimov) won 51.8 percent of their draws in 2011-12, but Halpern could make a subtle impact by relieving Derek Stepan (44.5 percent) and Artem Anisimov (46.7) of their duties.
Halpern was once a solid point producer, but he’s pretty far removed from his 40+ point days so his greatest value likely comes in faceoffs, two-way play and perhaps his veteran presence.
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 14
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 8
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 9
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 17
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 22
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)