Jul 10, 2012, 12:40 AM EDT
The Rangers got a chance to see the 36-year-old forward during the team’s seven-game series against Halpern’s last team, the Washington Capitals. Halpern is most obviously connected to the Capitals franchise as his first stint with the team lasted six seasons. After that, he bounced around the NHL quite a bit before returning to D.C., where he was born.
It was a cool story that the Capitals brought back a “native” of the market, but Halpern is a depth guy rather than a big difference-maker so it’s not shocking that he didn’t stick.
The clearest way he’s likely to help New York is in the faceoff circle, where Halpern won a staggering 58.4 percent of his draws last season. The Rangers’ two most frequent faceoff takers (Brad Richards and Artem Anisimov) won 51.8 percent of their draws in 2011-12, but Halpern could make a subtle impact by relieving Derek Stepan (44.5 percent) and Artem Anisimov (46.7) of their duties.
Halpern was once a solid point producer, but he’s pretty far removed from his 40+ point days so his greatest value likely comes in faceoffs, two-way play and perhaps his veteran presence.
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 0
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 9
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 57
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (58)