Jul 10, 2012, 12:40 AM EST
The Rangers got a chance to see the 36-year-old forward during the team’s seven-game series against Halpern’s last team, the Washington Capitals. Halpern is most obviously connected to the Capitals franchise as his first stint with the team lasted six seasons. After that, he bounced around the NHL quite a bit before returning to D.C., where he was born.
It was a cool story that the Capitals brought back a “native” of the market, but Halpern is a depth guy rather than a big difference-maker so it’s not shocking that he didn’t stick.
The clearest way he’s likely to help New York is in the faceoff circle, where Halpern won a staggering 58.4 percent of his draws last season. The Rangers’ two most frequent faceoff takers (Brad Richards and Artem Anisimov) won 51.8 percent of their draws in 2011-12, but Halpern could make a subtle impact by relieving Derek Stepan (44.5 percent) and Artem Anisimov (46.7) of their duties.
Halpern was once a solid point producer, but he’s pretty far removed from his 40+ point days so his greatest value likely comes in faceoffs, two-way play and perhaps his veteran presence.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (56)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)