Jul 10, 2012, 2:09 PM EST
Sean Burke is movin’ on up.
That was the word out of Phoenix on Tuesday as ‘Yotes GM Don Maloney promoted Burke to assistant (to the) general manager.
Burke signed a three-year contract extension with the club, one that will see him undertake a new gig while still serving in his previous roles as goalie coach and director of player development.
“For the past three years, Sean has done a tremendous job working with all the goaltenders in our organization helping them improve and succeed on the ice,” Maloney said in a statement. “We look forward to him continuing in this role and also assisting our hockey operations department in all areas of the business.”
Burke has been largely credited with Mike Smith‘s remarkable turnaround, arguably the defining act of his time in Phoenix.
Last season, Smith reached career highs in games played (67), wins (38), goals-against average (2.21), save percentage (.930) and shutouts (eight) — this after he was allowed to walk from Tampa, where he served as Dwayne Roloson‘s backup.
What’s more, the Coyotes signed Smith for $2 million — a bargain basement price considering he finished fourth in this year’s Vezina voting (earning two first-place votes) and 11th in Hart Trophy voting.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 0
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 9
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 24
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)