Jul 10, 2012, 5:42 PM EDT
The Kitchener Rangers — the OHL club holding junior rights to Winnipeg first-rounder Jacob Trouba — are suing the Michigan Daily student newspaper over a report the Rangers offered to pay Trouba to play for them next season.
The Daily claimed that Trouba, a University of Michigan recruit, had been offered $200,000 to play with the Rangers next year rather than the Wolverines. The $200,000 was allegedly in lieu of an education package.
Kitchener CEO Steve Bienkowski says the allegations are false and has filed suit against the paper.
“It’s not a threat anymore,” Bienkowski said. “We served the newspaper and the writer there to either back it up or retract it.”
Here’s more, courtesy the Guelph Mercury:
Trouba has said multiple times that he intends to honour his NCAA commitment. His family released a statement in light of the Daily story denying “any insinuation that the Kitchener Rangers have offered a financial package to Jacob.”
The 18-year-old was selected ninth overall by the Winnipeg Jets in last month’s NHL draft. If the blueliner, who is currently at the Jets’ rookie development camp, inks a pro deal, it will nullify his NCAA eligibility.
Bienkowski vehemently denied the claims made by the Daily and said he couldn’t hide that kind of a transaction, even if he wanted to.
“We present our audited financial statements every year,” he said. “We don’t have subsidiary companies or other businesses.”
The Daily cited an unnamed source in the Trouba story and, when asked for comment, editor-in-chief Jacob Axelrad declined. (Of note, the story is still on the paper’s website.)
Bienkowski feels the damage to his organization is already done.
“By people out there saying whatever the hell they want, with not having to back it up and hiding behind sources, that damaged us,” he said. “I don’t take it personal but it’s frustrating. You work pretty hard to build what we think is an outstanding reputation in the CHL and then you have all this sort of stuff.”
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 5
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)