Jul 10, 2012, 9:44 PM EDT
The NHL and NHLPA held their fourth session of CBA talks on Tuesday, discussing various matters for about three hours. Naturally, exact details aren’t available, but NHLPA head Donald Fehr and player representative Manny Malhotra provided positive feedback.
“We had a meeting for the better part of three hours. A lot of different issues were discussed,” Fehr said. “The meeting was business-like and appropriate and we’ve got another one scheduled for Friday.”
“We discussed a number of issues today and talks were very productive,” Malhotra said. “Again, we’re not going to get into too many specifics, but the lines of communication are open.”
The NHL is saying all the right things, too. Gary Bettman called the discussions “positive, constructive and cordial” as well.
At some point, those sound bytes will begin to dissolve while a sense of nervousness sets in, but so far it’s reasonable for everyone to be upbeat. The next meetings are supposed to take place on Friday.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 20
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 13
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 37
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)