Jul 10, 2012, 10:28 AM EDT
If it were up to Shane Doan, he’d stay in Phoenix for the rest of his career. That much we know is true. With the team’s ownership mess up in the air, however, it’s led to him exploring a very eager-to-sign-him free agent market.
When it comes to the Coyotes, however, there’s one thing Doan won’t do: Sign a one-year deal. That’s what his agent, Terry Bross, tells Sarah McLellan of the Arizona Republic.
Doan hasn’t ruled out returning to the Coyotes, but Bross no longer anticipates Doan agreeing to a one-year deal with the team.
“I think the door’s kind of closed on that opportunity,” he said.
A multiyear contract is fine with the Coyotes, but they, too, have become bystanders in this process.
For a guy that’s been the face of a franchise in peril for three years now, you can’t fault Doan for wanting security in his own future. At 35 years-old, he’s had a lot to deal with both on and off the ice and while Phoenix is home for him, he knows if it’s not going to be the team’s home for the foreseeable future he can’t commit to them long-term.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)