Jul 10, 2012, 10:28 AM EDT
If it were up to Shane Doan, he’d stay in Phoenix for the rest of his career. That much we know is true. With the team’s ownership mess up in the air, however, it’s led to him exploring a very eager-to-sign-him free agent market.
When it comes to the Coyotes, however, there’s one thing Doan won’t do: Sign a one-year deal. That’s what his agent, Terry Bross, tells Sarah McLellan of the Arizona Republic.
Doan hasn’t ruled out returning to the Coyotes, but Bross no longer anticipates Doan agreeing to a one-year deal with the team.
“I think the door’s kind of closed on that opportunity,” he said.
A multiyear contract is fine with the Coyotes, but they, too, have become bystanders in this process.
For a guy that’s been the face of a franchise in peril for three years now, you can’t fault Doan for wanting security in his own future. At 35 years-old, he’s had a lot to deal with both on and off the ice and while Phoenix is home for him, he knows if it’s not going to be the team’s home for the foreseeable future he can’t commit to them long-term.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 61
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)