Jul 10, 2012, 5:12 PM EST
Pierre Gauthier has landed on his feet in Chicago.
Less than four months after being fired as general manager of the Montreal Canadiens, Gauthier has joined the Blackhawks as the director of player personnel.
In an amusing twist, Chicago found itself with an opening in the front office after assistant general manager Marc Bergevin left the club to become the new GM of the Habs. The director of player personnel role needed to be filled job after Norm Maciver was promoted to assistant general manager earlier this summer.
Gauthier had a tumultuous 2011-12 season in Montreal. Most notably, in December, he fired head coach Jacques Martin and replaced him with unilingual Randy Cunneyworth, a move that rankled the team’s French-speaking fans.
Say what you will about his work in Montreal, but you can’t question his experience. Gauthier has been GM of three NHL teams — Ottawa, Anaheim and Montreal.
He’s also made some impressive late-round draft picks, including Sami Salo at No. 239 in 1996 and PA Parenteau at No. 264 in 2001.
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 5
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 16
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 14
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 41
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 5
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 14
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 15
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)