Jul 10, 2012, 5:12 PM EDT
Pierre Gauthier has landed on his feet in Chicago.
Less than four months after being fired as general manager of the Montreal Canadiens, Gauthier has joined the Blackhawks as the director of player personnel.
In an amusing twist, Chicago found itself with an opening in the front office after assistant general manager Marc Bergevin left the club to become the new GM of the Habs. The director of player personnel role needed to be filled job after Norm Maciver was promoted to assistant general manager earlier this summer.
Gauthier had a tumultuous 2011-12 season in Montreal. Most notably, in December, he fired head coach Jacques Martin and replaced him with unilingual Randy Cunneyworth, a move that rankled the team’s French-speaking fans.
Say what you will about his work in Montreal, but you can’t question his experience. Gauthier has been GM of three NHL teams — Ottawa, Anaheim and Montreal.
He’s also made some impressive late-round draft picks, including Sami Salo at No. 239 in 1996 and PA Parenteau at No. 264 in 2001.
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 3
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 38
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 54
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 42
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 75
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 34
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 48
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 59
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)