Jul 9, 2012, 6:52 PM EDT
When the NHLPA conducted its first meetings about the CBA, reports surfaced that Jonathan Toews was whispering in Shane Doan‘s ear about joining the Chicago Blackhawks. That sales pitch must have gone well because Doan’s agent told Chris Kuc that there’s some mutual interest in getting something done.
Shane Doan’s agent, Terry Bross, said not only have #Blackhawks contacted them, but also that Doan has interest in joining Hawks.
Sure, the Blackhawks probably have bigger fish to try this off-season when it comes to improving their defensive depth and overall goaltending. Some might view adding Doan as overkill because the team’s forward group is already formidable. Still, Toews, Patrick Kane, Patrick Sharp, Marian Hossa & Co. provide a lot of things, but few – if any – of those players approach Doan’s ruggedness.
With that in mind, adding Doan could make a lot of sense. It’s a solid idea from the Phoenix Coyotes captain’s perspective as well; Chicago recently won a Stanley Cup and doesn’t have the money problems that Phoenix faces each season.
What do you think, though? How wise would this move be for both sides?
More Doan-related fun
The Boston Bruins aren’t on his wish list.
Vancouver Canucks are in the running.
The New York Rangers are/were in the hunt.
Philadelphia Flyers show some interest.
At one point, 11 teams hoped to be in the mix.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)