Jul 9, 2012, 6:52 PM EDT
When the NHLPA conducted its first meetings about the CBA, reports surfaced that Jonathan Toews was whispering in Shane Doan‘s ear about joining the Chicago Blackhawks. That sales pitch must have gone well because Doan’s agent told Chris Kuc that there’s some mutual interest in getting something done.
Shane Doan’s agent, Terry Bross, said not only have #Blackhawks contacted them, but also that Doan has interest in joining Hawks.
Sure, the Blackhawks probably have bigger fish to try this off-season when it comes to improving their defensive depth and overall goaltending. Some might view adding Doan as overkill because the team’s forward group is already formidable. Still, Toews, Patrick Kane, Patrick Sharp, Marian Hossa & Co. provide a lot of things, but few – if any – of those players approach Doan’s ruggedness.
With that in mind, adding Doan could make a lot of sense. It’s a solid idea from the Phoenix Coyotes captain’s perspective as well; Chicago recently won a Stanley Cup and doesn’t have the money problems that Phoenix faces each season.
What do you think, though? How wise would this move be for both sides?
More Doan-related fun
The Boston Bruins aren’t on his wish list.
Vancouver Canucks are in the running.
The New York Rangers are/were in the hunt.
Philadelphia Flyers show some interest.
At one point, 11 teams hoped to be in the mix.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 13
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)