Jul 9, 2012, 6:52 PM EDT
When the NHLPA conducted its first meetings about the CBA, reports surfaced that Jonathan Toews was whispering in Shane Doan‘s ear about joining the Chicago Blackhawks. That sales pitch must have gone well because Doan’s agent told Chris Kuc that there’s some mutual interest in getting something done.
Shane Doan’s agent, Terry Bross, said not only have #Blackhawks contacted them, but also that Doan has interest in joining Hawks.
Sure, the Blackhawks probably have bigger fish to try this off-season when it comes to improving their defensive depth and overall goaltending. Some might view adding Doan as overkill because the team’s forward group is already formidable. Still, Toews, Patrick Kane, Patrick Sharp, Marian Hossa & Co. provide a lot of things, but few – if any – of those players approach Doan’s ruggedness.
With that in mind, adding Doan could make a lot of sense. It’s a solid idea from the Phoenix Coyotes captain’s perspective as well; Chicago recently won a Stanley Cup and doesn’t have the money problems that Phoenix faces each season.
What do you think, though? How wise would this move be for both sides?
More Doan-related fun
The Boston Bruins aren’t on his wish list.
Vancouver Canucks are in the running.
The New York Rangers are/were in the hunt.
Philadelphia Flyers show some interest.
At one point, 11 teams hoped to be in the mix.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (96)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (76)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)