Jul 9, 2012, 11:35 PM EST
Mike Sunnucks of the Phoenix Business Journal reports that organizers are struggling to collect enough signatures from Glendale residents to force a referendum on the $300 million Phoenix Coyotes lease at Jobing.com Arena.
It’s unclear exactly how many signatures are needed and when the deadline to collect them all actually would be. Failing to make that referendum happen would open the door for Greg Jamison to buy the team, according to Sunnucks.
As usual with Coyotes sale stories, it’s far from straightforward. The city argues that the deadline for the signatures should be Monday while opponents believe they should have until July 16. Furthermore, opponents think they should only need to collect around 1,000 signatures while Glendale claims they need 1,800. It’s all muddled, as per usual, but we’ll pass along updates until this seemingly eternal tug-o-war actually ends.
I mean, it has to end at some point, right?
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 7
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 19
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 29
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (151)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)