Jul 9, 2012, 4:52 PM EDT
Instead, Doan is looking to stay in the Western Conference to be close to his family. The San Jose Sharks, Los Angeles Kings and Vancouver Canucks have been mentioned as possible landing spots for Doan.
The stalwart winger still has plenty left in the tank, and is seeking a four-to-five-year deal that should take him to the end of his career.
The Bruins have been interested in upgrading with a veteran forward this summer, but Peter Chiarelli hasn’t found the right fit in free agency for that “Recchi-type.” Veteran free agents this season largely haven’t been interested in wearing Black and Gold. Both Ray Whitney and Doan would have been perfect fits for the Bruins, but Boston simply isn’t geographically desirable for some players.
Doan’s agent, Terry Bross, says his client will start looking at offers Tuesday to “get an idea of where he kind of fits in the market, and take that next step.”
Of note, there’s a press conference this afternoon in Glendale at which two residents are expected to provide an update on their efforts to put the Coyotes’ lease with prospective owner Greg Jamison to a November referendum. If enough signatures are gathered and it does indeed go to a vote, Doan is more likely to sign elsewhere.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 27
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 11
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)