Jul 9, 2012, 4:52 PM EDT
Instead, Doan is looking to stay in the Western Conference to be close to his family. The San Jose Sharks, Los Angeles Kings and Vancouver Canucks have been mentioned as possible landing spots for Doan.
The stalwart winger still has plenty left in the tank, and is seeking a four-to-five-year deal that should take him to the end of his career.
The Bruins have been interested in upgrading with a veteran forward this summer, but Peter Chiarelli hasn’t found the right fit in free agency for that “Recchi-type.” Veteran free agents this season largely haven’t been interested in wearing Black and Gold. Both Ray Whitney and Doan would have been perfect fits for the Bruins, but Boston simply isn’t geographically desirable for some players.
Doan’s agent, Terry Bross, says his client will start looking at offers Tuesday to “get an idea of where he kind of fits in the market, and take that next step.”
Of note, there’s a press conference this afternoon in Glendale at which two residents are expected to provide an update on their efforts to put the Coyotes’ lease with prospective owner Greg Jamison to a November referendum. If enough signatures are gathered and it does indeed go to a vote, Doan is more likely to sign elsewhere.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 18
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 16
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)