Jul 9, 2012, 4:52 PM EDT
Instead, Doan is looking to stay in the Western Conference to be close to his family. The San Jose Sharks, Los Angeles Kings and Vancouver Canucks have been mentioned as possible landing spots for Doan.
The stalwart winger still has plenty left in the tank, and is seeking a four-to-five-year deal that should take him to the end of his career.
The Bruins have been interested in upgrading with a veteran forward this summer, but Peter Chiarelli hasn’t found the right fit in free agency for that “Recchi-type.” Veteran free agents this season largely haven’t been interested in wearing Black and Gold. Both Ray Whitney and Doan would have been perfect fits for the Bruins, but Boston simply isn’t geographically desirable for some players.
Doan’s agent, Terry Bross, says his client will start looking at offers Tuesday to “get an idea of where he kind of fits in the market, and take that next step.”
Of note, there’s a press conference this afternoon in Glendale at which two residents are expected to provide an update on their efforts to put the Coyotes’ lease with prospective owner Greg Jamison to a November referendum. If enough signatures are gathered and it does indeed go to a vote, Doan is more likely to sign elsewhere.
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 2
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 7
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 20
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 28
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 32
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)