Jul 9, 2012, 4:52 PM EDT
Instead, Doan is looking to stay in the Western Conference to be close to his family. The San Jose Sharks, Los Angeles Kings and Vancouver Canucks have been mentioned as possible landing spots for Doan.
The stalwart winger still has plenty left in the tank, and is seeking a four-to-five-year deal that should take him to the end of his career.
The Bruins have been interested in upgrading with a veteran forward this summer, but Peter Chiarelli hasn’t found the right fit in free agency for that “Recchi-type.” Veteran free agents this season largely haven’t been interested in wearing Black and Gold. Both Ray Whitney and Doan would have been perfect fits for the Bruins, but Boston simply isn’t geographically desirable for some players.
Doan’s agent, Terry Bross, says his client will start looking at offers Tuesday to “get an idea of where he kind of fits in the market, and take that next step.”
Of note, there’s a press conference this afternoon in Glendale at which two residents are expected to provide an update on their efforts to put the Coyotes’ lease with prospective owner Greg Jamison to a November referendum. If enough signatures are gathered and it does indeed go to a vote, Doan is more likely to sign elsewhere.
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 13
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)