Jul 9, 2012, 10:14 PM EDT
Beyond being a great annual event, the Winter Classic’s popularity is inspiring plenty of other, smaller outdoor events. Next season will provide some other examples, but perhaps the most interesting off-shoot will take place at Soldier Field in Chicago. Brian Hamilton reports that there will be two NCAA games at the venue where the NFL’s Chicago Bears play.
Hamilton reports that Notre Dame will face Miami of Ohio and Wisconsin shall take on Minnesota in two high-profile matches. Update: Nathan Wells reports that it will be called “The Hockey City Classic” and that the two games will form a doubleheader on Feb. 17, 2013.
More information is expected to be available on Wednesday, but either way, it sounds exciting. This also makes me ask: where else would you really like to see an outdoor game?
(H/T to Brian Stubits.)
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 0
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 69
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 34
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 6
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63