Jul 9, 2012, 10:14 PM EST
Beyond being a great annual event, the Winter Classic’s popularity is inspiring plenty of other, smaller outdoor events. Next season will provide some other examples, but perhaps the most interesting off-shoot will take place at Soldier Field in Chicago. Brian Hamilton reports that there will be two NCAA games at the venue where the NFL’s Chicago Bears play.
Hamilton reports that Notre Dame will face Miami of Ohio and Wisconsin shall take on Minnesota in two high-profile matches. Update: Nathan Wells reports that it will be called “The Hockey City Classic” and that the two games will form a doubleheader on Feb. 17, 2013.
More information is expected to be available on Wednesday, but either way, it sounds exciting. This also makes me ask: where else would you really like to see an outdoor game?
(H/T to Brian Stubits.)
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 8
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)