Jul 9, 2012, 10:14 PM EDT
Beyond being a great annual event, the Winter Classic’s popularity is inspiring plenty of other, smaller outdoor events. Next season will provide some other examples, but perhaps the most interesting off-shoot will take place at Soldier Field in Chicago. Brian Hamilton reports that there will be two NCAA games at the venue where the NFL’s Chicago Bears play.
Hamilton reports that Notre Dame will face Miami of Ohio and Wisconsin shall take on Minnesota in two high-profile matches. Update: Nathan Wells reports that it will be called “The Hockey City Classic” and that the two games will form a doubleheader on Feb. 17, 2013.
More information is expected to be available on Wednesday, but either way, it sounds exciting. This also makes me ask: where else would you really like to see an outdoor game?
(H/T to Brian Stubits.)
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)