Jul 9, 2012, 10:14 PM EDT
Beyond being a great annual event, the Winter Classic’s popularity is inspiring plenty of other, smaller outdoor events. Next season will provide some other examples, but perhaps the most interesting off-shoot will take place at Soldier Field in Chicago. Brian Hamilton reports that there will be two NCAA games at the venue where the NFL’s Chicago Bears play.
Hamilton reports that Notre Dame will face Miami of Ohio and Wisconsin shall take on Minnesota in two high-profile matches. Update: Nathan Wells reports that it will be called “The Hockey City Classic” and that the two games will form a doubleheader on Feb. 17, 2013.
More information is expected to be available on Wednesday, but either way, it sounds exciting. This also makes me ask: where else would you really like to see an outdoor game?
(H/T to Brian Stubits.)
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)