Jul 9, 2012, 10:14 PM EDT
Beyond being a great annual event, the Winter Classic’s popularity is inspiring plenty of other, smaller outdoor events. Next season will provide some other examples, but perhaps the most interesting off-shoot will take place at Soldier Field in Chicago. Brian Hamilton reports that there will be two NCAA games at the venue where the NFL’s Chicago Bears play.
Hamilton reports that Notre Dame will face Miami of Ohio and Wisconsin shall take on Minnesota in two high-profile matches. Update: Nathan Wells reports that it will be called “The Hockey City Classic” and that the two games will form a doubleheader on Feb. 17, 2013.
More information is expected to be available on Wednesday, but either way, it sounds exciting. This also makes me ask: where else would you really like to see an outdoor game?
(H/T to Brian Stubits.)
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 0
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 46
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 8
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)