Jul 9, 2012, 1:52 PM EDT
After putting on the No. 11 and 20 jerseys, Parise and Suter revealed they’d both be wearing an “A” for 2012-13 — something that initially caught Parise off-guard, with Wild head coach Mike Yeo joking, “We probably should have talked about that.”
The joking was only temporary, though. Yeo quickly got serious about what Parise and Suter mean to his club.
“[You don't make] the type of commitment for these types of players unless you bring in two quality human beings,” Yeo said. “What they do on the ice speaks for itself, but what they will add to our group from a leadership and character standpoint — they’re going to play a huge role for us, and we’re expecting them to be leaders for a long time.”
Parise described the leadership qualities he and Suter bring to the table.
“Bot of us are lead by example type of guys,” he said. “I don’t think either of us are rah-rah guys but at certain times we’ll say something if things need to be said.
“We lead by example on the ice and off the ice.”
Parise and Suter will join a big leadership group in Minnesota, headed by captain Mikko Koivu and last season’s alternates, Matt Cullen and Dany Heatley. The Wild also have several long-serving members in the room, like Pierre-Marc Bouchard (who’s been with the club since 2002) and Nicklas Backstrom (the franchise’s all-time wins leader.)
(Photo courtesy the Minnesota Star-Tribune)
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 21
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 13
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 10
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 40
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 48
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 40
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 64
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)