Jul 9, 2012, 1:52 PM EDT
After putting on the No. 11 and 20 jerseys, Parise and Suter revealed they’d both be wearing an “A” for 2012-13 — something that initially caught Parise off-guard, with Wild head coach Mike Yeo joking, “We probably should have talked about that.”
The joking was only temporary, though. Yeo quickly got serious about what Parise and Suter mean to his club.
“[You don't make] the type of commitment for these types of players unless you bring in two quality human beings,” Yeo said. “What they do on the ice speaks for itself, but what they will add to our group from a leadership and character standpoint — they’re going to play a huge role for us, and we’re expecting them to be leaders for a long time.”
Parise described the leadership qualities he and Suter bring to the table.
“Bot of us are lead by example type of guys,” he said. “I don’t think either of us are rah-rah guys but at certain times we’ll say something if things need to be said.
“We lead by example on the ice and off the ice.”
Parise and Suter will join a big leadership group in Minnesota, headed by captain Mikko Koivu and last season’s alternates, Matt Cullen and Dany Heatley. The Wild also have several long-serving members in the room, like Pierre-Marc Bouchard (who’s been with the club since 2002) and Nicklas Backstrom (the franchise’s all-time wins leader.)
(Photo courtesy the Minnesota Star-Tribune)
- WATCH LIVE: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins 0
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 11
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 51
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 26
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 18
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (62)