Jul 9, 2012, 5:40 PM EDT
New Sharks associate coach Larry Robinson has no intention of replacing current bench boss Todd McLellan.
“That was the first thing I said when I came into the room. I do not want to be a head coach, I’m not here to take Todd’s job,” said Robinson, as per the San Jose Mercury News.
“I wouldn’t want to be a head coach knowing there’s somebody with a gun behind me waiting to shoot me whenever something went wrong. We will work out things when they’re not going right, but you’ve got the best head coach here in the best position possible and I don’t see any problems at all.”
It’s no surprise Robinson had to address the issue.
First off, McLellan faced considerable criticism after failing to lead the Sharks past the first round of the playoffs, this on the heels of a mediocre regular season. In four seasons as head coach, he’s twice steered San Jose to the conference finals, but no further than that.
Secondly, in 1999-2000, Robinson went from assistant coach to head coach of the Devils after Robbie Ftorek was fired with eight games left in the regular season. New Jersey then went on to win the Stanley Cup.
Oh, and here’s what Robinson had to say when Ftorek was canned: “The only thing I said before all of this was in no way did I want to come here lurking to be the next head coach.”
Not saying Robinson is being disingenuous now.
Just interesting is all.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)