Jul 9, 2012, 5:40 PM EDT
New Sharks associate coach Larry Robinson has no intention of replacing current bench boss Todd McLellan.
“That was the first thing I said when I came into the room. I do not want to be a head coach, I’m not here to take Todd’s job,” said Robinson, as per the San Jose Mercury News.
“I wouldn’t want to be a head coach knowing there’s somebody with a gun behind me waiting to shoot me whenever something went wrong. We will work out things when they’re not going right, but you’ve got the best head coach here in the best position possible and I don’t see any problems at all.”
It’s no surprise Robinson had to address the issue.
First off, McLellan faced considerable criticism after failing to lead the Sharks past the first round of the playoffs, this on the heels of a mediocre regular season. In four seasons as head coach, he’s twice steered San Jose to the conference finals, but no further than that.
Secondly, in 1999-2000, Robinson went from assistant coach to head coach of the Devils after Robbie Ftorek was fired with eight games left in the regular season. New Jersey then went on to win the Stanley Cup.
Oh, and here’s what Robinson had to say when Ftorek was canned: “The only thing I said before all of this was in no way did I want to come here lurking to be the next head coach.”
Not saying Robinson is being disingenuous now.
Just interesting is all.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 10
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 35
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 33
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)