Jul 9, 2012, 5:40 PM EST
New Sharks associate coach Larry Robinson has no intention of replacing current bench boss Todd McLellan.
“That was the first thing I said when I came into the room. I do not want to be a head coach, I’m not here to take Todd’s job,” said Robinson, as per the San Jose Mercury News.
“I wouldn’t want to be a head coach knowing there’s somebody with a gun behind me waiting to shoot me whenever something went wrong. We will work out things when they’re not going right, but you’ve got the best head coach here in the best position possible and I don’t see any problems at all.”
It’s no surprise Robinson had to address the issue.
First off, McLellan faced considerable criticism after failing to lead the Sharks past the first round of the playoffs, this on the heels of a mediocre regular season. In four seasons as head coach, he’s twice steered San Jose to the conference finals, but no further than that.
Secondly, in 1999-2000, Robinson went from assistant coach to head coach of the Devils after Robbie Ftorek was fired with eight games left in the regular season. New Jersey then went on to win the Stanley Cup.
Oh, and here’s what Robinson had to say when Ftorek was canned: “The only thing I said before all of this was in no way did I want to come here lurking to be the next head coach.”
Not saying Robinson is being disingenuous now.
Just interesting is all.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)