Jul 9, 2012, 5:40 PM EDT
New Sharks associate coach Larry Robinson has no intention of replacing current bench boss Todd McLellan.
“That was the first thing I said when I came into the room. I do not want to be a head coach, I’m not here to take Todd’s job,” said Robinson, as per the San Jose Mercury News.
“I wouldn’t want to be a head coach knowing there’s somebody with a gun behind me waiting to shoot me whenever something went wrong. We will work out things when they’re not going right, but you’ve got the best head coach here in the best position possible and I don’t see any problems at all.”
It’s no surprise Robinson had to address the issue.
First off, McLellan faced considerable criticism after failing to lead the Sharks past the first round of the playoffs, this on the heels of a mediocre regular season. In four seasons as head coach, he’s twice steered San Jose to the conference finals, but no further than that.
Secondly, in 1999-2000, Robinson went from assistant coach to head coach of the Devils after Robbie Ftorek was fired with eight games left in the regular season. New Jersey then went on to win the Stanley Cup.
Oh, and here’s what Robinson had to say when Ftorek was canned: “The only thing I said before all of this was in no way did I want to come here lurking to be the next head coach.”
Not saying Robinson is being disingenuous now.
Just interesting is all.
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 17
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 12
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 10
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 40
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 48
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 40
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 63
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)