Jul 9, 2012, 5:40 PM EDT
New Sharks associate coach Larry Robinson has no intention of replacing current bench boss Todd McLellan.
“That was the first thing I said when I came into the room. I do not want to be a head coach, I’m not here to take Todd’s job,” said Robinson, as per the San Jose Mercury News.
“I wouldn’t want to be a head coach knowing there’s somebody with a gun behind me waiting to shoot me whenever something went wrong. We will work out things when they’re not going right, but you’ve got the best head coach here in the best position possible and I don’t see any problems at all.”
It’s no surprise Robinson had to address the issue.
First off, McLellan faced considerable criticism after failing to lead the Sharks past the first round of the playoffs, this on the heels of a mediocre regular season. In four seasons as head coach, he’s twice steered San Jose to the conference finals, but no further than that.
Secondly, in 1999-2000, Robinson went from assistant coach to head coach of the Devils after Robbie Ftorek was fired with eight games left in the regular season. New Jersey then went on to win the Stanley Cup.
Oh, and here’s what Robinson had to say when Ftorek was canned: “The only thing I said before all of this was in no way did I want to come here lurking to be the next head coach.”
Not saying Robinson is being disingenuous now.
Just interesting is all.
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 2
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 29
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)