Jul 9, 2012, 8:43 AM EDT
Larry Robinson landing a new gig as associate coach in San Jose makes for another great turn in his post-playing career, one where he spent the bulk of in Montreal. The Canadiens too were interested in bringing Robinson aboard Michel Therrien‘s staff but talks never got far.
Why? Apparently Mother Nature determined a return to Quebec wasn’t in the cards as Dave Stubbs of the Montreal Gazette shares.
It was no secret that a number of NHL clubs had expressed interest in Robinson’s coaching talents. Complicating matters with the Canadiens was the fact that he was unable last month to come north for a face-to-face interview, tied down in Florida dealing with the onslaught of Hurricane Debby and the torrential rains that overflowed his swimming pool and swamped the 12-acre polo farm he co-owns, stabling and training polo horses.
As Stubbs notes, Robinson kept in touch with Habs GM Marc Bergevin but an interview never happened as Therrien wanted to bring J.J. Daigneault so badly, they hired him before even speaking to Robinson. Alas, romanticism only goes so far when it comes to getting business done.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)