Jul 9, 2012, 9:17 AM EDT
One thing we haven’t heard anyone suggest in the Rick Nash saga is having the team hang onto him if a trade can’t be worked out.
Rob Oller of The Columbus Dispatch suggests GM Scott Howson do just that and the reasoning is… Well, it’s interesting. Even though you’d think things with Nash and the team would get sour in such a situation, Oller says things could work out anyhow even with bad blood.
But even if Nash’s professionalism goes south, so what? Negative locker-room issues often are overrated. Many examples exist in which teammates tore at each other behind the scenes but still excelled on the field. That is not to say disruption should be sought; the 2011 Boston Red Sox showed that dysfunction and drinking in the clubhouse don’t always mix.
Context counts. Bickering teammates is a different problem than players barking at management, which is different from a disgruntled star who complains about his predicament. The sport matters, too. Football seems to benefit/suffer more than most sports from good/bad chemistry.
Jackets fans did their part to show they loved Nash at the end of last season in wanting him to stick around, but bringing him back after a contemptuous summer just sounds like a really bad idea. Nash is done with Columbus, the fans are (likely) done with having him there, and his teammates might not like having a guy who doesn’t have his heart into the current team.
Sure things could work out and everyone plays nice, but does the team take a chance in torpedoing their season from the get-go like that? Hard to see it working out that way.
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 0
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 0
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 44
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (47)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)