Jul 9, 2012, 9:17 AM EDT
One thing we haven’t heard anyone suggest in the Rick Nash saga is having the team hang onto him if a trade can’t be worked out.
Rob Oller of The Columbus Dispatch suggests GM Scott Howson do just that and the reasoning is… Well, it’s interesting. Even though you’d think things with Nash and the team would get sour in such a situation, Oller says things could work out anyhow even with bad blood.
But even if Nash’s professionalism goes south, so what? Negative locker-room issues often are overrated. Many examples exist in which teammates tore at each other behind the scenes but still excelled on the field. That is not to say disruption should be sought; the 2011 Boston Red Sox showed that dysfunction and drinking in the clubhouse don’t always mix.
Context counts. Bickering teammates is a different problem than players barking at management, which is different from a disgruntled star who complains about his predicament. The sport matters, too. Football seems to benefit/suffer more than most sports from good/bad chemistry.
Jackets fans did their part to show they loved Nash at the end of last season in wanting him to stick around, but bringing him back after a contemptuous summer just sounds like a really bad idea. Nash is done with Columbus, the fans are (likely) done with having him there, and his teammates might not like having a guy who doesn’t have his heart into the current team.
Sure things could work out and everyone plays nice, but does the team take a chance in torpedoing their season from the get-go like that? Hard to see it working out that way.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)