Chelios on Suter picking Wild: “He made it easy on his family, his dad — none of the Suters have ever left Madison”
Jul 9, 2012, 5:02 PM EST
Location, location, location.
According to Detroit Red Wings adviser Chris Chelios, it’s the main reason why Ryan Suter signed in Minnesota.
“He made it easy on his family, his dad,” Chelios told the Detroit News. “None of the Suters have ever left Madison.
“It came down to a hockey-family decision. The Suters aren’t afraid to jump in a car.”
The drive between Madison, WI, and Minneapolis is approximately five hours and as you may have heard, Suter’s wife is from nearby Bloomington (they got married at the Lafayette Club on Minnetonka Beach; click here to read more about the horseradish crusted salmon entree.)
Chelios said the hometown draw won out over joining the storied Wings franchise.
“I know [Suter] was interested in coming to Detroit,” Chelios explained. “I was with him at a golf tournament and he touched on it.
“The history of the Red Wings over the last 15, 20 years, what kind of organization it is, you don’t have to sell it.”
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 31
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 29
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 63
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 37
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)