Chelios on Suter picking Wild: “He made it easy on his family, his dad — none of the Suters have ever left Madison”
Jul 9, 2012, 5:02 PM EDT
Location, location, location.
According to Detroit Red Wings adviser Chris Chelios, it’s the main reason why Ryan Suter signed in Minnesota.
“He made it easy on his family, his dad,” Chelios told the Detroit News. “None of the Suters have ever left Madison.
“It came down to a hockey-family decision. The Suters aren’t afraid to jump in a car.”
The drive between Madison, WI, and Minneapolis is approximately five hours and as you may have heard, Suter’s wife is from nearby Bloomington (they got married at the Lafayette Club on Minnetonka Beach; click here to read more about the horseradish crusted salmon entree.)
Chelios said the hometown draw won out over joining the storied Wings franchise.
“I know [Suter] was interested in coming to Detroit,” Chelios explained. “I was with him at a golf tournament and he touched on it.
“The history of the Red Wings over the last 15, 20 years, what kind of organization it is, you don’t have to sell it.”
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 1
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 7
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 37
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)