Chelios on Suter picking Wild: “He made it easy on his family, his dad — none of the Suters have ever left Madison”
Jul 9, 2012, 5:02 PM EDT
Location, location, location.
According to Detroit Red Wings adviser Chris Chelios, it’s the main reason why Ryan Suter signed in Minnesota.
“He made it easy on his family, his dad,” Chelios told the Detroit News. “None of the Suters have ever left Madison.
“It came down to a hockey-family decision. The Suters aren’t afraid to jump in a car.”
The drive between Madison, WI, and Minneapolis is approximately five hours and as you may have heard, Suter’s wife is from nearby Bloomington (they got married at the Lafayette Club on Minnetonka Beach; click here to read more about the horseradish crusted salmon entree.)
Chelios said the hometown draw won out over joining the storied Wings franchise.
“I know [Suter] was interested in coming to Detroit,” Chelios explained. “I was with him at a golf tournament and he touched on it.
“The history of the Red Wings over the last 15, 20 years, what kind of organization it is, you don’t have to sell it.”
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 20
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 20
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 31
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)