Chelios on Suter picking Wild: “He made it easy on his family, his dad — none of the Suters have ever left Madison”
Jul 9, 2012, 5:02 PM EDT
Location, location, location.
According to Detroit Red Wings adviser Chris Chelios, it’s the main reason why Ryan Suter signed in Minnesota.
“He made it easy on his family, his dad,” Chelios told the Detroit News. “None of the Suters have ever left Madison.
“It came down to a hockey-family decision. The Suters aren’t afraid to jump in a car.”
The drive between Madison, WI, and Minneapolis is approximately five hours and as you may have heard, Suter’s wife is from nearby Bloomington (they got married at the Lafayette Club on Minnetonka Beach; click here to read more about the horseradish crusted salmon entree.)
Chelios said the hometown draw won out over joining the storied Wings franchise.
“I know [Suter] was interested in coming to Detroit,” Chelios explained. “I was with him at a golf tournament and he touched on it.
“The history of the Red Wings over the last 15, 20 years, what kind of organization it is, you don’t have to sell it.”
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 24
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50