Chelios on Suter picking Wild: “He made it easy on his family, his dad — none of the Suters have ever left Madison”
Jul 9, 2012, 5:02 PM EST
Location, location, location.
According to Detroit Red Wings adviser Chris Chelios, it’s the main reason why Ryan Suter signed in Minnesota.
“He made it easy on his family, his dad,” Chelios told the Detroit News. “None of the Suters have ever left Madison.
“It came down to a hockey-family decision. The Suters aren’t afraid to jump in a car.”
The drive between Madison, WI, and Minneapolis is approximately five hours and as you may have heard, Suter’s wife is from nearby Bloomington (they got married at the Lafayette Club on Minnetonka Beach; click here to read more about the horseradish crusted salmon entree.)
Chelios said the hometown draw won out over joining the storied Wings franchise.
“I know [Suter] was interested in coming to Detroit,” Chelios explained. “I was with him at a golf tournament and he touched on it.
“The history of the Red Wings over the last 15, 20 years, what kind of organization it is, you don’t have to sell it.”
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 0
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)