Jul 9, 2012, 3:07 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks are far from the only team that’s interested in signing Shane Doan, but according to his agent, they’re among the favorites to get it done.
Terry Bross told CKWX in Vancouver that Doan, 35, has spoken with Canucks assistant GM Laurence Gilman about joining the club, and that his client is interested in the opportunity.
Gilman was formerly an executive with the Winnipeg Jets/Phoenix Coyotes, so there’s a relationship there.
And as the Globe and Mail’s James Mirtle notes, Doan’s wife is from Kamloops, British Columbia, and the couple spends time there in the offseason.
Doan is also a co-owner of his former junior team, the Kamloops Blazers (WHL).
The Canucks could certainly use a player of Doan’s ilk. As it stands, Vancouver is woefully lacking in the “grizzled veteran” category. A second line comprised of Doan (RW), Ryan Kesler (C) and David Booth (LW) has considerable appeal on paper.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 7
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 12
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 22
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)