Jul 9, 2012, 3:07 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks are far from the only team that’s interested in signing Shane Doan, but according to his agent, they’re among the favorites to get it done.
Terry Bross told CKWX in Vancouver that Doan, 35, has spoken with Canucks assistant GM Laurence Gilman about joining the club, and that his client is interested in the opportunity.
Gilman was formerly an executive with the Winnipeg Jets/Phoenix Coyotes, so there’s a relationship there.
And as the Globe and Mail’s James Mirtle notes, Doan’s wife is from Kamloops, British Columbia, and the couple spends time there in the offseason.
Doan is also a co-owner of his former junior team, the Kamloops Blazers (WHL).
The Canucks could certainly use a player of Doan’s ilk. As it stands, Vancouver is woefully lacking in the “grizzled veteran” category. A second line comprised of Doan (RW), Ryan Kesler (C) and David Booth (LW) has considerable appeal on paper.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 9
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 20
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 91
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (94)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)