Jul 9, 2012, 3:07 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks are far from the only team that’s interested in signing Shane Doan, but according to his agent, they’re among the favorites to get it done.
Terry Bross told CKWX in Vancouver that Doan, 35, has spoken with Canucks assistant GM Laurence Gilman about joining the club, and that his client is interested in the opportunity.
Gilman was formerly an executive with the Winnipeg Jets/Phoenix Coyotes, so there’s a relationship there.
And as the Globe and Mail’s James Mirtle notes, Doan’s wife is from Kamloops, British Columbia, and the couple spends time there in the offseason.
Doan is also a co-owner of his former junior team, the Kamloops Blazers (WHL).
The Canucks could certainly use a player of Doan’s ilk. As it stands, Vancouver is woefully lacking in the “grizzled veteran” category. A second line comprised of Doan (RW), Ryan Kesler (C) and David Booth (LW) has considerable appeal on paper.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 22
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 61
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)