Jul 9, 2012, 3:07 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks are far from the only team that’s interested in signing Shane Doan, but according to his agent, they’re among the favorites to get it done.
Terry Bross told CKWX in Vancouver that Doan, 35, has spoken with Canucks assistant GM Laurence Gilman about joining the club, and that his client is interested in the opportunity.
Gilman was formerly an executive with the Winnipeg Jets/Phoenix Coyotes, so there’s a relationship there.
And as the Globe and Mail’s James Mirtle notes, Doan’s wife is from Kamloops, British Columbia, and the couple spends time there in the offseason.
Doan is also a co-owner of his former junior team, the Kamloops Blazers (WHL).
The Canucks could certainly use a player of Doan’s ilk. As it stands, Vancouver is woefully lacking in the “grizzled veteran” category. A second line comprised of Doan (RW), Ryan Kesler (C) and David Booth (LW) has considerable appeal on paper.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)