Jul 9, 2012, 3:07 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks are far from the only team that’s interested in signing Shane Doan, but according to his agent, they’re among the favorites to get it done.
Terry Bross told CKWX in Vancouver that Doan, 35, has spoken with Canucks assistant GM Laurence Gilman about joining the club, and that his client is interested in the opportunity.
Gilman was formerly an executive with the Winnipeg Jets/Phoenix Coyotes, so there’s a relationship there.
And as the Globe and Mail’s James Mirtle notes, Doan’s wife is from Kamloops, British Columbia, and the couple spends time there in the offseason.
Doan is also a co-owner of his former junior team, the Kamloops Blazers (WHL).
The Canucks could certainly use a player of Doan’s ilk. As it stands, Vancouver is woefully lacking in the “grizzled veteran” category. A second line comprised of Doan (RW), Ryan Kesler (C) and David Booth (LW) has considerable appeal on paper.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 21
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 16
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 27
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 61
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (65)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)