Jul 9, 2012, 3:07 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks are far from the only team that’s interested in signing Shane Doan, but according to his agent, they’re among the favorites to get it done.
Terry Bross told CKWX in Vancouver that Doan, 35, has spoken with Canucks assistant GM Laurence Gilman about joining the club, and that his client is interested in the opportunity.
Gilman was formerly an executive with the Winnipeg Jets/Phoenix Coyotes, so there’s a relationship there.
And as the Globe and Mail’s James Mirtle notes, Doan’s wife is from Kamloops, British Columbia, and the couple spends time there in the offseason.
Doan is also a co-owner of his former junior team, the Kamloops Blazers (WHL).
The Canucks could certainly use a player of Doan’s ilk. As it stands, Vancouver is woefully lacking in the “grizzled veteran” category. A second line comprised of Doan (RW), Ryan Kesler (C) and David Booth (LW) has considerable appeal on paper.
- Video: Stamkos scores first goal since returning to Lightning lineup 1
- Sedin backs Tortorella and staff: ‘We love playing for these coaches’ 19
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider 89
- Callahan: I wanted to stay in New York 35
- Playoff bubble watch — Wild edition 18
- Video: Ryan Kesler injured on knee-on-knee collision, on his way back to Vancouver 12
- Discuss: Bruins run over Habs in newest chapter of historic rivalry 26
- Peverley to undergo heart procedure, will miss rest of season 13
- Comeau gets two games for boarding Smith 9
- Three things the Canucks haven’t done well under Torts 22
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (91)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (72)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (61)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)