Jul 9, 2012, 7:29 PM EDT
Considering the wide net that Shane Doan and his agent Terry Bross have thrown out during this free agent search, it’s no surprise that his varied interests are becoming something of a meme. Even Doan’s agent said “We have not ruled anyone out,” so it’s probably most informative to note who’s expressing interest in the Phoenix Coyotes captain. Jeremy Rutherford reports that the Blues are one of those teams.
For Doan the Blues make at least some sense. The team is an up-and-coming contender full of young players who could probably use a veteran voice. Ken Hitchcock surely would love having a rugged guy like Doan around, especially if his work ethic rubs off on hit-or-miss big guys such as Chris Stewart.
There’s also the fact that the Blues haven’t locked up the aging veterans they brought in last season. Rumors tended to give Jamie Langenbrunner a better chance to return than Jason Arnott, yet neither addition really made a huge difference for St. Louis last season. What if the Blues were able to add an experienced player with a bit more in the tank?
Still, St. Louis might not be quite the “sexy” choice like a Chicago or Vancouver. While the Blues seem financially stable, they’re also not able to throw around money like free samples, either.
There are some reasons for and against this happening, but where do you stand? Let us know in the comments.
More Doan-related fun
The Boston Bruins aren’t on his wish list.
Vancouver Canucks are in the running.
The New York Rangers are/were in the hunt.
The Chicago Blackhawks are flirting with Doan, too.
Philadelphia Flyers show some interest.
At one point, 11 teams hoped to be in the mix.
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? 22
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 15
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 12
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 33
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 58
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 92
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead