Jul 9, 2012, 7:29 PM EST
Considering the wide net that Shane Doan and his agent Terry Bross have thrown out during this free agent search, it’s no surprise that his varied interests are becoming something of a meme. Even Doan’s agent said “We have not ruled anyone out,” so it’s probably most informative to note who’s expressing interest in the Phoenix Coyotes captain. Jeremy Rutherford reports that the Blues are one of those teams.
For Doan the Blues make at least some sense. The team is an up-and-coming contender full of young players who could probably use a veteran voice. Ken Hitchcock surely would love having a rugged guy like Doan around, especially if his work ethic rubs off on hit-or-miss big guys such as Chris Stewart.
There’s also the fact that the Blues haven’t locked up the aging veterans they brought in last season. Rumors tended to give Jamie Langenbrunner a better chance to return than Jason Arnott, yet neither addition really made a huge difference for St. Louis last season. What if the Blues were able to add an experienced player with a bit more in the tank?
Still, St. Louis might not be quite the “sexy” choice like a Chicago or Vancouver. While the Blues seem financially stable, they’re also not able to throw around money like free samples, either.
There are some reasons for and against this happening, but where do you stand? Let us know in the comments.
More Doan-related fun
The Boston Bruins aren’t on his wish list.
Vancouver Canucks are in the running.
The New York Rangers are/were in the hunt.
The Chicago Blackhawks are flirting with Doan, too.
Philadelphia Flyers show some interest.
At one point, 11 teams hoped to be in the mix.
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 5
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 16
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 14
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 41
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 5
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 14
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 15
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)