Jul 9, 2012, 7:29 PM EST
Considering the wide net that Shane Doan and his agent Terry Bross have thrown out during this free agent search, it’s no surprise that his varied interests are becoming something of a meme. Even Doan’s agent said “We have not ruled anyone out,” so it’s probably most informative to note who’s expressing interest in the Phoenix Coyotes captain. Jeremy Rutherford reports that the Blues are one of those teams.
For Doan the Blues make at least some sense. The team is an up-and-coming contender full of young players who could probably use a veteran voice. Ken Hitchcock surely would love having a rugged guy like Doan around, especially if his work ethic rubs off on hit-or-miss big guys such as Chris Stewart.
There’s also the fact that the Blues haven’t locked up the aging veterans they brought in last season. Rumors tended to give Jamie Langenbrunner a better chance to return than Jason Arnott, yet neither addition really made a huge difference for St. Louis last season. What if the Blues were able to add an experienced player with a bit more in the tank?
Still, St. Louis might not be quite the “sexy” choice like a Chicago or Vancouver. While the Blues seem financially stable, they’re also not able to throw around money like free samples, either.
There are some reasons for and against this happening, but where do you stand? Let us know in the comments.
More Doan-related fun
The Boston Bruins aren’t on his wish list.
Vancouver Canucks are in the running.
The New York Rangers are/were in the hunt.
The Chicago Blackhawks are flirting with Doan, too.
Philadelphia Flyers show some interest.
At one point, 11 teams hoped to be in the mix.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (70)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)