Jul 8, 2012, 12:53 PM EST
Nicklas Lidstrom’s retirement from the NHL doesn’t have to mean he’s out of hockey completely.
Brendan Savage of Mlive.com hears from Detroit’s assistant GM Jim Nill that Lidstrom will be joining the Red Wings as a scout.
“We haven’t really sat down (and determined) to what extent but he’ll be in the organization and do everything he can to help us out,” Nill said today during the morning session of the Red Wings prospects camp at Centre Ice Arena.
“We might bring him back here. It depends on the situation. His terms. We wanted to keep him in the organization.”
Just picture if you will having Lidstrom filing a scouting report on a defenseman. “Well, he’s not as good as I was so take that into consideration.” Thanks Nick!
Having a guy with the kind of experience Lidstrom has as another set of eyes for talent can’t be a bad thing.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)