Jul 8, 2012, 12:53 PM EST
Nicklas Lidstrom’s retirement from the NHL doesn’t have to mean he’s out of hockey completely.
Brendan Savage of Mlive.com hears from Detroit’s assistant GM Jim Nill that Lidstrom will be joining the Red Wings as a scout.
“We haven’t really sat down (and determined) to what extent but he’ll be in the organization and do everything he can to help us out,” Nill said today during the morning session of the Red Wings prospects camp at Centre Ice Arena.
“We might bring him back here. It depends on the situation. His terms. We wanted to keep him in the organization.”
Just picture if you will having Lidstrom filing a scouting report on a defenseman. “Well, he’s not as good as I was so take that into consideration.” Thanks Nick!
Having a guy with the kind of experience Lidstrom has as another set of eyes for talent can’t be a bad thing.
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 2
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 20
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 29
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 6
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)