Jul 8, 2012, 12:53 PM EST
Nicklas Lidstrom’s retirement from the NHL doesn’t have to mean he’s out of hockey completely.
Brendan Savage of Mlive.com hears from Detroit’s assistant GM Jim Nill that Lidstrom will be joining the Red Wings as a scout.
“We haven’t really sat down (and determined) to what extent but he’ll be in the organization and do everything he can to help us out,” Nill said today during the morning session of the Red Wings prospects camp at Centre Ice Arena.
“We might bring him back here. It depends on the situation. His terms. We wanted to keep him in the organization.”
Just picture if you will having Lidstrom filing a scouting report on a defenseman. “Well, he’s not as good as I was so take that into consideration.” Thanks Nick!
Having a guy with the kind of experience Lidstrom has as another set of eyes for talent can’t be a bad thing.
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 7
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 30
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 96
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 11
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (96)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)