Jul 8, 2012, 12:53 PM EST
Nicklas Lidstrom’s retirement from the NHL doesn’t have to mean he’s out of hockey completely.
Brendan Savage of Mlive.com hears from Detroit’s assistant GM Jim Nill that Lidstrom will be joining the Red Wings as a scout.
“We haven’t really sat down (and determined) to what extent but he’ll be in the organization and do everything he can to help us out,” Nill said today during the morning session of the Red Wings prospects camp at Centre Ice Arena.
“We might bring him back here. It depends on the situation. His terms. We wanted to keep him in the organization.”
Just picture if you will having Lidstrom filing a scouting report on a defenseman. “Well, he’s not as good as I was so take that into consideration.” Thanks Nick!
Having a guy with the kind of experience Lidstrom has as another set of eyes for talent can’t be a bad thing.
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 0
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 45
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 71
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 74
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (72)