Jul 8, 2012, 4:59 PM EDT
The Montreal Gazette’s Dave Stubbs is reporting that Hall of Fame defenseman Larry Robinson has inked a two-year deal with a one-year option with the San Jose Sharks to join them as an associate coach.
Robinson had 958 points in 1,384 career games with the Montreal Canadiens and Los Angeles Kings. He won six Stanley Cups in the process as well as the Conn Smythe Trophy in 1978. He also is a two-times James Norris Memorial Trophy winner.
As a head coach, Robinson added another Stanley Cup win to his resume after he became the New Jersey Devils’ bench boss with just eight games remaining in the 1999-2000 regular season. The Devils went on to capture the Stanley Cup in 2000 over the Dallas Stars in six games.
As Stubbs pointed out, Robinson has also won a Stanley Cup as an associate coach and another as a consultant for the Devils.
Given his extensive history of success in the playoffs, this signing should be particularly helpful to the San Jose Sharks. For years they’ve had the talent to be a legitimate Stanley Cup contender, but they’ve always fallen short when it came time to execute in the playoffs. Perhaps Robinson can help with that.
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 3
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 14
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 7
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 54
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 5
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 65
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination