Jul 8, 2012, 4:59 PM EST
The Montreal Gazette’s Dave Stubbs is reporting that Hall of Fame defenseman Larry Robinson has inked a two-year deal with a one-year option with the San Jose Sharks to join them as an associate coach.
Robinson had 958 points in 1,384 career games with the Montreal Canadiens and Los Angeles Kings. He won six Stanley Cups in the process as well as the Conn Smythe Trophy in 1978. He also is a two-times James Norris Memorial Trophy winner.
As a head coach, Robinson added another Stanley Cup win to his resume after he became the New Jersey Devils’ bench boss with just eight games remaining in the 1999-2000 regular season. The Devils went on to capture the Stanley Cup in 2000 over the Dallas Stars in six games.
As Stubbs pointed out, Robinson has also won a Stanley Cup as an associate coach and another as a consultant for the Devils.
Given his extensive history of success in the playoffs, this signing should be particularly helpful to the San Jose Sharks. For years they’ve had the talent to be a legitimate Stanley Cup contender, but they’ve always fallen short when it came time to execute in the playoffs. Perhaps Robinson can help with that.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 132
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 97
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 115
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (134)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (127)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (115)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (97)