Jul 8, 2012, 4:59 PM EDT
The Montreal Gazette’s Dave Stubbs is reporting that Hall of Fame defenseman Larry Robinson has inked a two-year deal with a one-year option with the San Jose Sharks to join them as an associate coach.
Robinson had 958 points in 1,384 career games with the Montreal Canadiens and Los Angeles Kings. He won six Stanley Cups in the process as well as the Conn Smythe Trophy in 1978. He also is a two-times James Norris Memorial Trophy winner.
As a head coach, Robinson added another Stanley Cup win to his resume after he became the New Jersey Devils’ bench boss with just eight games remaining in the 1999-2000 regular season. The Devils went on to capture the Stanley Cup in 2000 over the Dallas Stars in six games.
As Stubbs pointed out, Robinson has also won a Stanley Cup as an associate coach and another as a consultant for the Devils.
Given his extensive history of success in the playoffs, this signing should be particularly helpful to the San Jose Sharks. For years they’ve had the talent to be a legitimate Stanley Cup contender, but they’ve always fallen short when it came time to execute in the playoffs. Perhaps Robinson can help with that.
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 6
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (59)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)