Jul 8, 2012, 4:59 PM EDT
The Montreal Gazette’s Dave Stubbs is reporting that Hall of Fame defenseman Larry Robinson has inked a two-year deal with a one-year option with the San Jose Sharks to join them as an associate coach.
Robinson had 958 points in 1,384 career games with the Montreal Canadiens and Los Angeles Kings. He won six Stanley Cups in the process as well as the Conn Smythe Trophy in 1978. He also is a two-times James Norris Memorial Trophy winner.
As a head coach, Robinson added another Stanley Cup win to his resume after he became the New Jersey Devils’ bench boss with just eight games remaining in the 1999-2000 regular season. The Devils went on to capture the Stanley Cup in 2000 over the Dallas Stars in six games.
As Stubbs pointed out, Robinson has also won a Stanley Cup as an associate coach and another as a consultant for the Devils.
Given his extensive history of success in the playoffs, this signing should be particularly helpful to the San Jose Sharks. For years they’ve had the talent to be a legitimate Stanley Cup contender, but they’ve always fallen short when it came time to execute in the playoffs. Perhaps Robinson can help with that.
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 0
- Avs’ Parenteau (knee) likely out for remainder of regular season, playoffs unclear 0
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 14
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 17
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)