Jul 8, 2012, 2:47 PM EST
Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson is still trying to find a way to deal Rick Nash. His demands are high, maybe too high, but he does have someone that understands him in former Jackets forward Michael Peca.
Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch breaks down whether or not the price for Nash is too high and Peca tells him it’s all part of the process of trying to make a trade.
“Scott is trying to rob somebody, and he has that right,” said Michael Peca, a longtime NHL player, including with Columbus, and now an analyst for TSN, a Canadian sports channel. “And you know some teams are trying to get Nash from (Howson) without giving up anything of consequence.”
If you scoped out what any armchair GM on the Internet was cooking up to land Nash for their favorite team, you know that to be true. Then again, when Howson is asking for guys like Jeff Skinner or Logan Couture or Chris Kreider, those are deals that just aren’t going to materialize.
It’s a high-stakes game of chicken at this point and Howson seems determined not to swerve out of the way until he gets what he wants. If that means going head-on into the season with Nash still in Columbus, so be it. How delightfully awkward.
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 0
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 5
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 48
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 41
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (48)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (41)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)