Jul 8, 2012, 12:18 PM EST
Shane Doan has technically been a free agent since last Sunday. Thanks to him waiting out to see if Greg Jamison’s bid to buy the Coyotes gets held up or not, tomorrow may turn into the official day to big on his services.
Paola Boivin of The Arizona Republic says he won’t have a shortage of suitors should he decide to play somewhere other than Phoenix next season, a decision that will be painful for the career Coyote according to his agent.
Eleven teams have inquired about the player, his agent, Terry Bross, said Friday. New York, Detroit and Montreal are among the group, according to various reports.
Doan deserves better.
“It’s heartbreaking for him,” Bross said. “Heartbreaking.”
Bross reiterated Doan wants to stay with the Coyotes. He loves it here, his family loves it here and he has developed a profound connection with the organization.
Should things get cleared up in Glendale with Jamison’s bid to buy the team, re-signing Doan is a no-brainer. Things continuing to be up in the air, however, ruins that for the team. Doan wants nowhere else to play other than Phoenix, but if ownership is still a mess, you can’t fault the guy for wanting to land in a stable situation.
Worse yet for the Coyotes, one of the teams who will push hard for Doan is the Los Angeles Kings, according to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun. Losing your captain due to ownership mayhem is one thing, potentially losing him to a rival stings even more.
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 13
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 30
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 33
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 6
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)