Jul 7, 2012, 4:06 PM EDT
While wait to find out if Teemu Selanne will return to the Anaheim Ducks for another season, he’s busy helping pass the torch to an up-and-coming Finnish prospect set to make his debut next season.
Minnesota’s Mikael Granlund will be bringing his highlight reel scoring to the NHL and Selanne tells MTV3 in Finland Granlund’s size won’t be a hindrance. (Kudos to Sampsa at First Round Bust for the translation)
Under 6 ft. Granlund could have had problems with his size before the lockout rule changes, but Selänne reminds that even similar sized Saku Koivu was able to make the break to the NHL.
“Size isn’t as big of a matter as it was before. Saku came in at a challenging time. Hockey today is more skill based, huge colossals (players if this doesn’t translate too well) have disappeared from the game. It’s a win to the sport. Back in the days, small players weren’t even drafted no matter how good they were.”
Standing at anywhere between 5’8″ and 5’10” Granlund’s smaller size was an issue for some, but his offensive creativity and goal scoring ability seemed to matter more. After all, Martin St. Louis seems to be a pretty good player.
Getting the “atta boy” from Selanne means big things for a little guy like Granlund. With all sorts of attention being paid to the Wild now, surely there won’t be any pressure to perform. Good luck, kid.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 0
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 51
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (54)