Jul 7, 2012, 4:06 PM EDT
While wait to find out if Teemu Selanne will return to the Anaheim Ducks for another season, he’s busy helping pass the torch to an up-and-coming Finnish prospect set to make his debut next season.
Minnesota’s Mikael Granlund will be bringing his highlight reel scoring to the NHL and Selanne tells MTV3 in Finland Granlund’s size won’t be a hindrance. (Kudos to Sampsa at First Round Bust for the translation)
Under 6 ft. Granlund could have had problems with his size before the lockout rule changes, but Selänne reminds that even similar sized Saku Koivu was able to make the break to the NHL.
“Size isn’t as big of a matter as it was before. Saku came in at a challenging time. Hockey today is more skill based, huge colossals (players if this doesn’t translate too well) have disappeared from the game. It’s a win to the sport. Back in the days, small players weren’t even drafted no matter how good they were.”
Standing at anywhere between 5’8″ and 5’10” Granlund’s smaller size was an issue for some, but his offensive creativity and goal scoring ability seemed to matter more. After all, Martin St. Louis seems to be a pretty good player.
Getting the “atta boy” from Selanne means big things for a little guy like Granlund. With all sorts of attention being paid to the Wild now, surely there won’t be any pressure to perform. Good luck, kid.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)