Jul 7, 2012, 8:01 PM EDT
Green’s four-year/$21 million contract has expired and it’s hard to gauge what he will get, although the Capitals felt it was worth it to present him with a $5 million qualifying offer.
Green surpassed the 70-point milestone in back-to-back seasons. In 2008-09, he scored 31 goals, which is tied for the 11th best single-season total for a blueliner in the history of the NHL.
That said, he’s been limited to just 81 games over the last two seasons and even when he has been healthy, he hasn’t been putting up the same kind of numbers.
It wouldn’t be surprising if the Capitals opted to ink him to a short-term contract to make sure he can bounce back. That being said, if he does, he could be in line for a very hefty sum next time he’s a free agent.
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 1
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 4
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 17
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 65
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 56
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (85)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights