Jul 7, 2012, 8:01 PM EST
Green’s four-year/$21 million contract has expired and it’s hard to gauge what he will get, although the Capitals felt it was worth it to present him with a $5 million qualifying offer.
Green surpassed the 70-point milestone in back-to-back seasons. In 2008-09, he scored 31 goals, which is tied for the 11th best single-season total for a blueliner in the history of the NHL.
That said, he’s been limited to just 81 games over the last two seasons and even when he has been healthy, he hasn’t been putting up the same kind of numbers.
It wouldn’t be surprising if the Capitals opted to ink him to a short-term contract to make sure he can bounce back. That being said, if he does, he could be in line for a very hefty sum next time he’s a free agent.
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 32
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 7
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 40
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)