Jul 7, 2012, 10:58 AM EDT
After last season’s playoff disappointment in losing to St. Louis, the San Jose Sharks could use a spark this offseason. Patrick Marleau was a major non-factor in that playoff disaster being held pointless in the five-game series and rumors are floating around about him being moved.
David Pollak of the Mercury News asked if he would entertain the thought of waiving his no-movement clause for the right deal. Marleau’s mind isn’t quite there yet.
At the end of the season, I asked Marleau if he might be willing to waive whatever no-movement clause he has in his contract if Doug Wilson approached him with a possible trade partner.
“We’ll cross that bridge if it ever comes up,” Marleau said, leaving a little wiggle room.
I decided it was time for a follow-up call, reached Marleau, reminded him of his earlier response and asked if the issue has come up this week.
“I’m not at that bridge,” was his stick-to-the-metaphor response.
Oh Patrick, you jokester.
Marleau’s earned a reputation for disappearing in the postseason through his career and you could say he’s the face of the franchise when it comes to always falling short of the Stanley Cup. That said, his regular season production remains top-notch and he’s 32 years-old. If the Sharks are going to move him, they might be doing so at their own peril.
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)